1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Favorite whisk(e)ys

Discussion in 'Chit-Chat' started by 72FJ40LandCruiser, Aug 13, 2006.

1. 72FJ40LandCruiser

72FJ40LandCruiser

The Jack and Coke post inspired me to start a thread on whisk(e)y. What's everybody's favorite?

I've recently discovered George Dickel, it's a Tennessee whisky, and at $17 for a 750ml bottle, it is surprisingly good! Makes me wonder what the people drinking Beam or Jack are thinking. I drink all my whisk(e)ys in a rocks glass with ice. I also am partial to Knob Creek for bourbon, and Glenlivet for scotch.

2. AATLAS1X

AATLAS1X

Crown on the rocks with a splash of water.

3. Gumby

Gumby Supamod Staff Member s-Moderator

Knob's Creek is tasty.

Beam Black is the usual bourbon. Usually with Coke. Sometimes with 7/Sierra Mist

Not a big Canadian fan, but I like Crown and water.

I haven't found a scotch I like at all.

4. PHAEDRUS

PHAEDRUS

Crown on the rocks is always just that, OK.
    Johnny Walker Blue label is wonderful but pricey. Gold label is around 60 per bottle and almost as good.
    There is a bottle of Gold I have been working on for some time now. I like to savor it.
    Dave

5. 72FJ40LandCruiser

72FJ40LandCruiser

In the Johnny Walker line, I've only had the cheapo red label. It's OK to me, and is what got me started in scotch. I enjoy Glenlivet and Gleddinfich. I'd like to try some 18 year Macallan, or some Laphroaig. I've heard great things about the Laphroaig, but I know it's pricy and I've yet to find it around here.

6. Diescipel

Diescipel

Had a Jameson 12 yr. a week ago. Very smooth.

As for Scotch, Oban. Not one of the big names but excellent.

B

7. Cruisin'Carolina

Cruisin'Carolina

No whiskey...

But Knob Creek or Woodford Special Reserve both are great....I mix them, I've actually had bartenders shudder at the thought.

8. 72FJ40LandCruiser

72FJ40LandCruiser

Man, whatever floats yer boat! I would shudder at somebody doing that in my presence, but as long as that's what they enjoy, that's what's important. :D

9. Gumby

Gumby Supamod Staff Member s-Moderator

I mix em too. Fawk em. that's how I like 'em and they can drink it any damn way they please.

10. Cube Dweller

Cube Dweller Moderator

Todd, try the 18 yr Glenlivet. Spendy (~$40 for a 750ml), but very, very nice.

Not a canadian fan either. Knob Creek is nice for Kentucky whiskey.

11. Cannonball

Cannonball

For starters a Crown and water to wash the palate and then pack the glass with ice and fill 'er up straight w/ Crown Royal and let the time pass with sheer Canadian goodness. Now if you are going to sit down and really run one for a long term then I suggest the higher level of Canada and try the Crown Royal Special Reserve........ OMG! No after taste and no bitterness only smooooth nectar of the Gods! On the Rocks of course never mixed with any soda of any kind! Only a fool would mix whiskey of any quality with soda. :cheers:

BTW if any one checks out old liquer stores and finds an old 750ml bottle of Crown lurking with about 10 years of dust on it let me know it does get better with age too, I found an old 1973 bottle last year and fell in love......till it was gone any way.

Cannonball

12. notyourmomslx450

notyourmomslx450

13. Poriomania

Poriomania

Basil Hayden is the only Bourbon I've found I can tolerate. Scotch on the other hand... I'll give a 2nd for the Oban, not as strong as an Islay, but a nice boost over the Glenlivet 12. That's my current favorite. JW Blue has to be one of the most overpriced drinks I've tried. I tried it against the red and found the red to be better IMO.

14. nuclearlemon

nuclearlemon not an addict Moderator

Media:
    Albums:
    would've chimed in sooner, but i was sitting on the side of the highway waiting for treeroot to come tow me home again and the phone batteries were almost dead
    i'd say i'd second knob creek, but apparently everyone else has seconded it. i also like gentleman jack, and jameson's

15. jrfj40

jrfj40

Crown Royal Special Reserve is the best there is in my book. On the rocks
    but if i'm a mixing then it regular Crown and ginger (ginger ale).

16. light_duty

light_duty

The Laphroaig should be cheaper than the Macallan, since it's only aged 10 years, and plus the Macallan is sherry casked, if I'm not mistaken. Laphroiag is one of my all-time favourites, especially the cask strength. I've heard its taste described as "trawler decks and tarred ropes." Other favourites (Islay scotches): Lagavulin 16 and Bowmore Cask Strength. Also Talisker from the Isle of Skye.

I never could stand the highland scotches like Glenfiddich, Glenlivet, Balvenie, etc. The only highland malt I enjoy is Aberlour. And Glenmorangie wil do in a pinch.

Ive found a lot to like in american whiskies, but not much in Canadian. Crown Royal is pretty much the only rye worth savouring.

But mostly I'm a scotch guy.

17. calamaridog

calamaridog

x2 or whatever the count is now.

Kentucky whiskey is so much better than crappy ****ing Tennesse pussy whiskey.

I just want to bash people over the head with their crappy ****ing JD bottles.

I think I'll have another:D

18. masscrusher

masscrusher

Old Fitzgerald for my bourbon and "Golden Syrup" for my scotch. You will have to look that one up as it is a boutique dram. :D Sold out, right now, but I have 1.5 bottles of it.

19. BGarcia88FJ62

BGarcia88FJ62

Wild Turkey 101 on the rock's.
    Very tasty in my opinon.

20. notyourmomslx450

notyourmomslx450

Basil Hayden is okay. It's still not as good as Maker's Mark. Anyone ever tried Bulleit?

data-matched-content-rows-num="2,1" data-matched-content-columns-num="1,4" data-matched-content-ui-type="image_stacked" data-ad-format="autorelaxed">