Favorite Trails - Idea for a sticky thread? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
What does everyone think about starting a sticky thread detailing our favorite trails for this region, detailed directions, permits, legal trail details, feedback regarding trail conditions and type of rig needed to safely traverse. A starter list might include the folllowing:
-Peters Mill Run - Front Royal
-Taskers Gap - Front Royal
-Dictum Ridge - Harrisonburg
-Second Mountain - Harrisonburg
-Dunkle Hollow - Harrisonburg
-Union Springs - Harrisonburg
-Potts Mountain - Blacksburg, VA
-Rauch Creek, North of Harrisburg, PA

Personnally, I looking for more tails and more challenges. I would love to hear from the other club memebers about their favorite trail experiences! Thoughts?:cheers:

Definitely a great idea. Lets make sure that we give good details and such so that others can appreciate. Maybe also include GPS coord's for the trail head.

can trail difficulty also be added? Stocker friendly, left required, lockers etc. . .

Hi I'm new in the DC are and I own a 1976 FJ40 I was wondering if you guys are meeting today? please let me know ASAP Thanks

o! and welcome to mud:flipoff2: official mud salute :D

Peter's Mill & Tasker's Gap--Near Front Royal VA

Peter's Mill and Tasker's Gap are two OHV trails within the George Washington National Forest. They run in opposite directions off of State Highway 675 near Edinburg, VA. This is approximately 10 miles south of Front Royal on Interstate 81. Unlike most other areas of the GWNF, to ride Peter's Mill and Tasker's Gap, you must pay a "day use" fee of $5. Check the US Forest Service page for open dates; typically, these trails are closed from mid-January through March.

Here's the US Forest Service page: US Forest Service

Here's a link to an unofficial CLCC trail ride in May 2011. Trail Ride and Hog Roast

Here's a VA4x4 link to my trail report from 2010. Peter's Mill and Tasker's Gap

100_3548.jpg

100_3564.jpg

Last edited:
Shoe Creek

I'll add more text when I can; in short, Shoe Creek is about 1 hour to 1.5 hours south of Charlottesville, VA. It is in a rural area, very scenic. Trail is approximately 8 miles in length, and extremely stock-vehicle friendly. A 2WD SUV or truck has no problem. You may camp anywhere along the trail. There is no user fee.

Here's a link to my March 2010 write-up on Shoe Creek.
Shoe Creek

100_2856.jpg

100_2859.jpg

100_2908.jpg

Last edited:
Lee Ranger District ATV/OHV Trails Map for Peters Mill Run and Taskers Gap

Here is the Lee Ranger District ATV/OHV Trails Map for Peters Mill Run and Taskers Gap. Note that 4 wheel drive vehicles can only use the OHV trails as marked on the Map.

Attachments

• Lee Ranger Distric OVH Trail Map.pdf
    649.8 KB · Views: 664
Second Mountain, West of Harrisonburg, VA

8/11/2011
Second Mountain - Green Trail - suitable for stock with some need for spotting.
West of Harrisonburg, VA

From Northern Virginia:
-66 West
-81 South
-Take 33 West at Harrisonburg for about 10 miles
-Make right onto 612N (Peake Mountain Road) - go about 4.5 miles
-Make left on to Long Run (gravel road) at Gospel Church - go about 5 miles up many switchbacks to the top of the mountain (some good views on the way up)
-Make left into designated 4W driving area (start for both Second Mountain and Dictum 4WD trails).

Aired down and started to run Second Mountain – nice views from power line breaks over the mountrain, interesting rock formation at 2.5 miles, big pool at 2.9 miles with no by-pass – deep (water at the bumper of 95lc with 2.5 lift and 33 tires). Very interesting 50 foot high rock formation at 3.9 miles. Climbed the backside of rocks to the top – cool view of trail from the top. Trail deadends at about 4 miles – (little room for a group to turn around).

Overall Second Mountain is good fun for stock vehicles. So additoinal fun for stock+ vehicles on several of the legal side trails (not recommended for stock vehicles). Highly recommend obtaining National Geographic Map 791 (attached image of map) which details all LEGAL 4x4 trails. This map will also be instrumental if you want to explore other trails within the George Washington National Forest. Also find attached the schedule of trail openings and closing for all of the trails that are seasonally closed by the forest service.

Note that you may want to combine this trail with Dictum which shares the same trail head however is a little bit longer.

Highly recommend always calling the ranger station a few weeks prior to and the day before your trail ride date to confirm that the trail is open as damage from heavy rains sometimes forces the rangers to close the trails:

North River Ranger District
401 Oakwood Drive
Harrisonburg, VA 22801
Toll Free 1-866-904-0240
540-432-0187

Enjoy :cheers:
Map 791 Staunton Shenandoah Mnt d.jpg

Attachments

• GW Trail Open Times0001.pdf
    910.5 KB · Views: 560
  • GW Trail Opens Page 20001.pdf
    742.3 KB · Views: 530
Last edited:
Dictum, West of Harrisonburg, VA

4/27/2011
Dictum - Green Trail - suitable for stock with some need for spotting.
West of Harrisonburg, VA

From Northern Virginia:
-66 West
-81 South
-Take 33 West at Harrisonburg for about 10 miles
-Make right onto 612N (Peake Mountain Road) - go about 4.5 miles
-Make left on to Long Run (gravel road) at Gospel Church - go about 5 miles up many switchbacks to the top of the mountain (some good views on the way up)
-Make left into designated 4W driving area (start for both Second Mountain and Dictum 4WD trails).

Started run - several nice campsites at beginning – flat with fire pits. At about 1/2 mile on trail another nice campsite. Trail is mostly rock – some mud – some branches – some challenging rocks at ¾ mile however doable by stock – nice outcrop of rocks – had lunch and climbed them - see attached photos - boys enjoysed scampering onto the rock towers, they also found a really cool green beetle – rest of trail offers some rocks – limited turn around space at end of trail (at about 8 miles). There used to be a way to get to 33 at the end of this trail. The forest service closed the end of the trail because there was a very steep rock hill at the end - lots of carnage (you can see videos on YouTube - search on Dictum). Now you have to turn around and go back to the trail head. Saw several grouse and a turkey -moved too fast for pictures!

Overall Dictum is good fun for stock vehicles.

Highly recommend obtaining National Geographic Map 791 which details all LEGAL 4x4 trails. This map will also be instrumental if you want to explore other trails within the George Washington Forest. If you are interested in exploring nearby trails that are seasonally opened and closed refer to the schedule of road openings. These documents can be found at my posting regarding Second Mountain.

Note that you may want to combine this trail with Second Mountain which shares the same trail head however is a little bit shorter.

Highly recommend always calling the ranger station a few weeks prior to and the day before your trail ride date to confirm that the trail is open as damage from heavy rains sometimes forces the rangers to close the trails:

North River Ranger District
401 Oakwood Drive
Harrisonburg, VA 22801
Toll Free 1-866-904-0240
540-432-0187

Enjoy :cheers:
April 27 2011 download 016b.jpg
April 27 2011 download 034b.jpg
April 27 2011 download 040b.jpg

Last edited:
I see a couple of camping sites along these trails anyone others in the area?

Recommend you look at the National Forest Service webpage for details on camping. I seem to recall that you can pitch camp anywhere along the trails in the GWNF, but check the page or call the Ranger station(s) to be certain. I know you don't want to get a vehicle off the "approved" trail within the GWNF.

back in the early 2000's, Dictum wasn't such a stock friendly trail. Just ask Rob when he endo'd his 4runner. I remember Lance trying to take the warpig up there and having a few issues as well.

u also have greenridge. and potomac state forests both have trails 90 percent are stock friendly. also if u go out rt70 to 68 like your headed to cumberland from fredrick. if u take fifteen mile creek rd exit. theres a small detention center there. drive past it and enter the trails. few spots along the creek to cool off one nice little swiming hole.

Where are the more challenging trails? Not looking to break my stuff, but looking for lines that take thought and flex the suspension and use my lockers now and again.

You'll have to go to Crozet near Charlottesville, the Cove NW of Winchester, or Rausch Creek.

Last edited:
if u go to the places i mentioned you would have to explore. take a gps with you most of it is on the gps. exploreing is the best part of wheeling ;) if u explore u will find some spots to flex it out.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom