Favorite Power Steering Fluid (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Hi Team!

I've been reading through the threads and even the FSM. Seems there are a few ways to go on the following.

I am replacing my power steering high pressure and return hose AND throwing in an auxiliary Power Steering cooler unit from Hayden.

Since I will be draining all the PS fluid, I wanted to see what other people run in their rigs.

1. FSM says to use Dexron or ATF

2. I have Valvoline Dexron/Mercon for my automatic transmission already

So, do I use the Valvoline Dexron Mercon that I already have or use something different?

Thanks!

power-steering-flush.jpg

Any ATF that's labeled Dextron is fine. I used whatever. The fluid that is forbidden is power steering fluid. Never use that.

@OSS Yeah that is the counter-intuitive information that I've heard. And its funny because you would think that you could use power steering fluid in the power steering reservoir/gearbox.

Great for all the confirmations. I called my local Toyota - they said Toyota ATF is $11.99/quart and in stock.

I didn't see this in the FAQ in the section on Lubricants, but glad the communal knowledge is here!

Thanks!

As long it’s dextron atf your good.
Someone brought up regular Dexron vs Synthetic. My tendency is to not use synthetics at all in my '92 since they either were not available at the time, or not widely used yet. At least that is my understanding with the motor oil. Mainly curious since my local place just sells the synthetic. I would have to order non synthetic.

I'm going on year 8 of leaky steering. At this point I use spit or what ever's laying around. I need to rebuild my steer/gear box (again) but I'm scared. I may need your help.

Last edited:
Match what you have.

What symptoms do you get that make you think you need a power steering cooler? Just curious. I've never felt the desire to do that, but nothing showed as an issue for me on it.

M1 or Amsoil Dextron-compatible ATF.

I'm a huge fan of Schaeffer's All-Trans after driving for a couple months with it in my transmission, so when I get around to doing a complete flush of my PS system (and possibly adding a cooler, though I don't know where I'd put it), I'll use that in there as well.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom