1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Favorite local trails

Discussion in 'AZ- Copper State Cruisers' started by hj60, Mar 10, 2004.

1. hj60

hj60

Since I'm sure I'm not the only recent transplant to AZ, I figgered I'd get this
    started. :)
    What's your favorite trail in AZ (or near the AZ line in one of our neighboring
    states)?

I haven't wheeled much since moving here (school and work taking nearly all of
    my time :( ) but I've done a few trails in the Superior/Florence Jcn area,
    Rim Road, couple of trails in Sedona.
    I have to say the Rim Rd. is my favorite for the sheer beauty of it.
    But I also like the Martinez Mines/Cabin trails.
    And I need to try out the back road to Crown King.

2. Lars

Lars

Since I live about 15 minutes from Table Mesa I have spent most of my time out there. During the past few summers I used to go on a lot of night runs off of SR74 (carefree hwy) a few miles past the lake pleasant turn-off. FR42 is fun at night time too. White Tank Mountains are where all the new insane trails are opening up at.

Would be nice to have a group outing that has something for everyone. I'm trying to think of a trail that would accomodate stock vehicles plus have optional areas for those that are more modified. Nothing comes to mind. :(

A longshot.... anyone here familiar with the Black River?

3. RHINO

RHINO

we may need to put these in a few categories:

rock trail: mine would be martinez canyon. have you done the canyon loop or just gone to the cabins??

scenic trail: i'll agree on the rim trail with the general cook loop thrown in.

epic trail: four peaks rd to roosevelt, then north through cherry creek and solome canyon to young, all the way up to the rim and north through chevelon canyon around strawberry to fossil springs and childs then across the river to sheeps bridge, seven springs and finally back home

whew say that all one breath, thats a long day if you rush but a comfy scenic w/e. i have a nice 4 day epic run too that goes to the grand canyon on 95% dirt.

4. BMT

BMT

A couple of good ones are,

Broken Arrow in Sedona. It is used by the tour jeeps. You should see the jaw's drop when a few cruisers come through.

Back way to Crown King. Actually never done it. Been to Crown King a bunch of times though.

Verde River Rec. Area in the north east valley. Close and fun.

Anywhere around Flagstaff. In the summer it is great. Heck, in the winter its great. Not tough trails but beautiful.

I have heard of a trail from Sycamore Canyon to Bartlett Lake. Want to try that one.

5. Lars

Lars

I'll never do the back road to Crown King again. It's just way too long of a trip. 5+ hours and then another hour or two down to I17. Plus it's dusty as hell if you have multiple vehicles on the trail. Nothing difficult, just looooong. The road back to I17 is too tempting to drive fast and I've seen far too many people end up off to the side of the road... one member in my club spent weeks in the hospital and lost his ear after this happened to him.

6. BMAN

BMAN

I'm a little biased because most of my in state wheeling is done in the Florence Junction area because it's so close to home.

I'd have to say that my favorite trail out there is Upper Woodpecker. I like it because there's enough for everyone. We've had stock ZR2 S-10's through there w/o incedent so it's passable by stockers yet there's plenty of stuff for everyone to play on. I think next would be the upper Ajax trail, close to Upper Woodpecker but a little more hardcore. There's a few non optional areas that might cause issues for people who don't want a little rock rash on a stocker. I would say sliders and a rear locker would probably be best although not mandatory for this one.

For views I would say the Martinez loop on a slightly windy day (to clear out the smog in the valley) is probably one of the most beautiful trails in AZ. This trail is a love hate for me though. I hate those switchbacks heading up to "Top of the World" and the pucker factor on that "luge" bypass is hella intense for me. I stalled and stopped my 40 twice on that damned thing...WAY SKETCHY! But I love the views and the cabins and toolshed areas are way cool.

Lower to upper Sycamore Creek trail is killer also but I haven't been out there in years.

Plenty of kick ass trail for all kinds of wheelin here in AZ.

DAMN I need to fix my junk!

optional line on Upper Woodpecker

7. BMAN

BMAN

Me getting denied on Martinez loop:

8. woodsfj40

woodsfj40

In southern Arizona I have always liked Chiva Falls. The Gardner Canyon area is also very scenic and fun.

As for an epic trip, the El Camino Del Diablo is second to none. We took that trip over two days in Jan. 2003 and while we were not able to make it out this year, we will return sometime next winter.

9. hammerhead

hammerhead

We do a bit of wheelin up here by the Utah border at Warner Valley and on the Arizona strip. Wrong side of the ditch for most of you guys but thought I'd mention it anyway. We did the Fort pierce wash in the rain last year and out ran the head waters. It was kinda weird driving throught the white water onto dry sand ahead of the wave. 8)

10. RUSH55

RUSH55

-As for an epic trip, the El Camino Del Diablo is second to none.-

Is this trail down by Tucson? Sounds cool!

So far my favorite trail has been Martinez Canyon. You got a bit of rock crawling, a moderately steep ascent to the top, awsome views, a really steep decent (though looks worse than it is), old mines and relics everywhere, and a cool place to camp.
    Anyone been to Desoto Mine? The Rhino and I are planning a trip there in April, anyone interested?

11. RUSH55

RUSH55

Hey BMAN, I can't believe you tried to squeeze through that part. We had a guy in our camp with a sripped 4 runner on 35's bounce and buck his way through it. If he would have had the rear section of his body, it would've been mangled!
    What size are those MTR's?

12. woodsfj40

woodsfj40

[quote author=RUSH55 link=board=27;threadid=12928;start=msg121107#msg121107 date=1079307843]

-As for an epic trip, the El Camino Del Diablo is second to none.-

Is this trail down by Tucson? Sounds cool!

So far my favorite trail has been Martinez Canyon. You got a bit of rock crawling, a moderately steep ascent to the top, awsome views, a really steep decent (though looks worse than it is), old mines and relics everywhere, and a cool place to camp.
    Anyone been to Desoto Mine? The Rhino and I are planning a trip there in April, anyone interested?
    [/quote]

It's actually between Ajo and Yuma. Do a web search for it and you will find a lot of information and pictures about the trip. It requires some pre-planning as you have to get permits to be in the area.

13. RHINO

RHINO

hey BMAN heres a pic of me doing the same obstacle a couple years ago

14. BMAN

BMAN

I thought for sure I could drive that one but after I lost half the flare I decided to back out. That's Sean King spotting me in that pic. He's the best damned spotter/driver I know, and he told not to even try... I should've listened.

Them thar MTR's are of the 35/12.50 variety. I love 'em too. Best mod so far I think. That is of course of the mods I've done since I bought her, which have been very few. I'd have to say that my most usefull mod are deffinately dual ARB's.

15. LandCruiserPhil

LandCruiserPhil Peter Pan Syndrome Supporting Vendor

Media:
    Albums:
    You can always find something challenging at Martinez Canyon. But not always a good cameraman when you do.

Phil

16. BMAN

BMAN

Phil,
    I forgot all about that little waterfall out on Martinez. Directly behind the cameraman in that pic is a canyon that some friends of mine are talking about trying to open as a trail. We've hiked about a 1/4 mile back in there and it's SICK. If opened it could be one of the hardest trails in the nation.

17. LandCruiserPhil

LandCruiserPhil Peter Pan Syndrome Supporting Vendor

Media:
    Albums:
    BMAN,
    A few years when I heard Mr. Ed first opened Axle Alley I located it and hiked and said No Way this can be run. Since then 50+ vehicles have ran it. Two Octobers ago I ran it with a friend in HIS Bronco(non FI), in and out before noon with no damage. So much for the trail that looks unrunable today.
    Let me know when you and your friends try to open it Ill be there……………….TO WATCH!

Phil – Proud of his original paint

18. RHINO

RHINO

phil, aint it the truth, your pic mustve been shot by the same who took mine :p

my good friend drives his suburban up that wall and it doesnt look nearly as steep.

BMAN, i too walked that wash a little bit, it is a tight one but would be challenging for sure. i also found a pretty cool waterfall not on any known trail in the area, i'll give you directions to find it next time you go out.

19. BMAN

BMAN

Forget the directions, how about you just show me. :flipoff2:

20. RUSH55

RUSH55

Hey, is that at the V-Notch??