Favorite Aftermarket 3 Gauge Kit for an FJ40 - Oil Pressure Voltage and Temperature (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

GRM

Finding new adventures in old jalopies.
Threads
I’ve come to the conclusion that I cannot trust the old gauges in my 40 and need an aftermarket solution to keep tabs on my 2fe.

The gauges I think I am most interested in are:
  • Oil Pressure
  • Water Temperature
  • Voltage
I’m looking for help: I’d like to know what your favorite 3 gauge kit is for a 40 and how you hooked it up? Currently I’m thinking to bolt the 3 gauges directly below my steering column, but I am a bit lost what mounting plate will fit the best, and what kit has the right adapters to fit my 2fe.

I appreciate everyones help.

Last edited:
Why can’t you trust them? ....

check this out before getting craycray:

FWIW, My '76 FJ40 was showing low oil pressure over the last few years. The original sending unit was getting weak. The part is still used on newer Toyota vehicles. I replaced mine with a new Toyota sender and bingo, pressure back up from being just above the L. Pic is with the new sending unit and at idle after being warmed up. I would personally fix your factory gauges, not add more to the mix. Clean contacts, replace wires or whatever to get them in spec.

oil pressure gage new sender idle with ac on.jpeg

Why can’t you trust them? ....

check this out before getting craycray:
I do intend to fix the cluster at some point in the future, but right now I have higher priority issues to take care of of my cruiser. I need a temporary solution for gauges that can last a year or three.

I can’t trust them because of a few reasons:
  • The harness from the fuse box to the gauges is melted (in case you didn’t know: bolts should not replace a fuse when the fuse blows 🤦🏼‍♂️)
  • The sending units are mis-matched and its unknown if they work or not. Some are for an F engine, some for a 2f, some for a 3fe)
  • It is unknown if the engine harness from the donor fj62 has the wiring from the gauges to the sending units
For these reasons, I want to toss a couple aftermarket gauges at the 40, and deal with the remaining problems in the short term rather than chase gauge issues.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom