Faulty replacement clutch booster?? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Gday all,
So, last weekend I replaced the clutch booster in my hj61 with a reconditioned one due to a problem with the old ones diaphragm swelling in 40degree Celsius heat, causing the clutch to slip...
I drove the car every day last week and all was good!
Come yesterday morning and initially it wouldn't go into gear which I thought was odd. Trying to go into reverse and it would grind... I mandged to get it into first and went for a drive and it all of a sudden went back to being all good... over the course of the day I noticed that if I stopped the car (turned off the engine) for a while, the problem would return. I also noticed there was a grinding feeling coming through the clutch pedal as I release it (only sometimes). On the 60km trim home it was perfect - until I tried to reverse into the driveway, where it tried to crunch into reverse....
Any ideas if this could be a faulty booster, or is it an indication of something else???
Ps - newish master and slave, and didn't have to unbolt any hydraulic lines to put the new booster in.....
Thanks heaps
Drew

Hmm.... a failing or failed clutch booster shouldn't really do anything except make it harder for the clutch pedal to be pushed down.

I would suggest you take it out of the equation by pulling the vacuum hose and plugging it temporarily.

Sounds like either a failing master or slave (did you use Toyota/Aisin parts?) which can still happen even though they are new, or more worrying- something weird is happening in the mechanical mechanism of the clutch itself.

A worn out input shaft pilot bearing that no longer spins freely (due to old age) will prevent the transmission from spinning down when the clutch is depressed.... resulting in grinding the gears every time you try to shift. Especially in reverse.

Remove the clutch inspection cover under the truck & have someone fully depress the clutch pedal while the engine is idling while you look at the clutch underneath the truck.

The clutch disc should come to a stop when the clutch pedal is fully depressed.

Thanks for the responses!
I don't think the slave or master are AISIN.
@OSS - excuse my ignorance, but is the input shaft pilot bearing part of what what would be changed in a normal clutch replacement, or is it in the gearbox?? Unfortunately there isn't an inspection plate to remove, but I think you might be onto something! I will get it into a mechanic this week, but the more info / suggestions I have, the better!
Any suggestions on a clutch? I was thinking Terrain Tamer HD..
Thanks
Drew

Yes, the pilot bearing is installed in the crank shaft end when the transmission is out. The bearing is always replaced whenever a clutch job is done.

If you can spare the cash, the Toyota parts are without a doubt the best.

image.jpeg

Thanks mate! Phew - not a gearbox rebuild too!!
Also - when it is playing up, the clutch starts to take up as soon as the clutch pedal is started to be released - instead of the 20mm or so of movement that is normally there. When this happens it won't go into first (no noise) and it will grind when trying to go into reverse - like the clutch needs to be pressed in more....
Could there be anything 'floating or broken' in the clutch causing this to be intermittent??

G'day guys, just as a bit of a follow-up / closure, I thought I would fill in the results for anyone interested...

After gearing up for spending about $1500 on a new clutch - the fault was found to be moisture in the clutch fluid..... a flush, and slight adjustment, and it is driving and changing gears as good as new(ish)!!!
I would imagine a clutch will still be in the future, but for now I am only $45 out of pocket....

And for another follow-up... I have been having random issues with the clutch for the past few months. The flush seemed to help, but every now and then it just wouldn’t feel right... I decided I had enough, and would get the whole clutch replaced..... I am glad I did as a spring (on the clutch plate I think - I haven’t seen it yet) had shattered and there were bits everywhere. A bit of a gouge on the flywheel and damage to the pressure plate... I hopefully get it back tomorrow. Exedy HD clutch, Toyota rear main, gearbox oil seal (not sure which one), gear stick bush, flexible clutch line, gear oil... I think that is it. then in next week for a new crank seal.....

That could cause a problem. Thanks for the photo. Too bad that spring broke - your clutch plate looks good otherwise.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom