FatMat vs Dynamat? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

woytovich

Science...
SILVER Star
Threads
Last edited:
I ordered a bunch of stuff from fat mat over a year ago never got it and never was able to talk to the company. There was no way to get ahold of them. I lost over a hundred dollars.

I used Damplifier- great customer service and it has made my 60 feel like a new car NVH wise. highly recommend. Very easy to install also.

I've used Second Skin on the FJ55 and it took it from being unable to hold a conversation inside to not any worse than my BJ60. I'd use them again, in fact I have material for the FJ45LV that will get the "Royal Treatment" since I can do it all before any interior or wiring goes in.

The reviwer likes RAAMmat BXT if $ is a concern... any observations on this product - good or bad?

After all this is a 23 year old truck with a $200 stereo. I want to add comfort and the ability to hear the passengers and cell phone... I don't expect a Lexus-like, concert-hall experience.

Or other products...?

I used item 9709T39 from McMaster-Carr.
I researched a bit prior to the 80's sub woofer replacement and found it mentioned in a few car audio forums where this stuff is exactly the same, minus the logo, as Dynamat but a lot cheaper.
Desc:
Sound and Vibration Damping Sheet EVA Mastic, .079" Thick, 32" X 54"
$16.62 Each

Warning: It's heavy. 6 sheets shipped by freight and I had a hard time moving the box off the front porch. Had to open it up and remove the rolls one at a time.

Rich

RAAMat rocks IMO. I did my front 80 doors inner and outer door panels and it made a hug difference. I did it for audio concerns but it brought road noise way way down. I've used Dynamat and this stuff is just as good if not better and a lot cheaper. Excellent customer service too. Skip the Ensolite they sell, it's only for audio vibration dampening. I might Raamat my 60 one day too. Highly recommended.

Where's the best place to buy the Second Skin products? I was suprised they didn't show up on Ebay or Amazon.

I used Dynamat on one 60 and RAAMATT on another. They both install the same but RAAMATT is thinner. The RAAMATT people tell you to use 2 layers over "critical areas". Cost wise, you get more square footage and product weight with RAAMATT for the money. However, I did not double up anywhere so it is likely that Dynamatt will outperform RAAMATT on a single layer application. Either way, the sound deadener is a nice upgrade.

I bought this stuff from McMaster-Carr.

It's about 1/8" thick and the aluminum is thick enough not to tear very easily.

a 36" by 33 foot roll is $115. = $1.16 per SF It worked Great and i've only done the door panels so far, no floor boards.

All-In-One Adhesive-Backed Roof-Repair Rolls

Peel off the backing and then stick in place to quickly and easily repair leaky roofs, gutters, and more. No additional coatings are required. All rolls have a rubberized, asphalt adhesive back. Choose from models with a laminated, reflective aluminum surface or a laminated, white-coated aluminum surface.
Rolls are lightweight; puncture, abrasion, and leak resistant; and reflect heat. They conform to a variety of clean, smooth, dry surfaces such as wood, metal, masonry, and existing asphalt roofs.
Rolls are 33 1/2 ft. Lg. x 3/64" Thick. and can be easily cut to size. Apply in temperatures above 60° F.

I bought this stuff from McMaster-Carr.

THis is the stuff that teh reviewer warned against... have you had it on for a while? Any heat/cold related issues - falling off?

There is no way it is coming off. When i was putting it on it was all I could do to pull it back off if I missplaced it or something.

I promise you it is extremely durable, sticky and very much sound proof.

I was looking at that picture of the fat mat on the website, and the ONLY difference is the blue logo on the foil side.

Edit - If it got too hot it might soften, But we are talking HOT like Phoenix hot.

I guess we'll see. I have a ton of it left and will be doing my floor boards as soon as I can afford carpet.

Last edited:
Real happy with Damplifier and it is cheaper than Dynamat (although not cheap).

I also used their padding under my carpet as well.

There is no way it is coming off. When i was putting it on it was all I could do to pull it back off if I missplaced it or something.

I promise you it is extremely durable, sticky and very much sound proof.

I was looking at that picture of the fat mat on the website, and the ONLY difference is the blue logo on the foil side.

Edit - If it got too hot it might soften, But we are talking HOT like Phoenix hot.

I guess we'll see. I have a ton of it left and will be doing my floor boards as soon as I can afford carpet.

And the reviewer agrees... he said that FatMat is the asphalt based stuff - the stuff he didn't recommend because it has poorer hot/cold characteristics.

some people also complain of "that roofing smell" after they use the aspahlt materials... YMMV

Call Tony at second skin, he was running a mud 10% discount a while back. In any case he's a great guy to deal with. Get the roller while you're talking to him, it helps a lot.

I traded emails with him yesterday... this is what he said on that subject:

"The discount that we used to offer was on products that we no longer sell.
Those were the asphalt based materials. They were much cheaper to produce
and we had a much larger markup on them.

We stopped selling them close to 4 years ago. Now, everything we sell is
butyl. Not only that, but our butyl is the highest rated butyl in the
industry. Over 500 degree heat rating. It costs a lot more for us to product
it and we do not make nearly as much as we used to so we are unable to
provide the discount.

I hope you understand.

One some orders, depending on the size, we can help with the shipping costs,
and sometimes throw in free tools to help with the install."

"We stopped selling asphalt mats about 4 years ago. Too much trouble. Too
many failures. Not enough performance."

Users who are viewing this thread

Back