Fat Bikes (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
'Been watching this fatbike thing grow in popularity from afar, and I'm looking to make my first entry into it (hopefully this fall).
Anyone have any trail experience with a 26X4 vs a 29+ (29X3)? I test rode a Salsa Beargrease (26X4) followed by a test ride on a Carver Gnarvester (29X3), and really liked the 29+. But I want a fat bike for what it was designed for, navigating snow, sand etc. So, will the 29+ make the cut?

No experience here on the 29 + but have the same concern. I just got a Niner ROS and it will be offered in the 29 + option within the next year, so I'm wondering if I shouldn't have held off and got the version that allows the bigger tire?

I borrowed a 4-inch tire bike last winter and rode it into a Forest Service cabin for an over-nighter (about a 15-mile ride one way...uphill) It was tough! I didn't budget (time or energywise) for the added slowness of pedalling through snow. Took me about 7-hours and I thought it should have been about a 2 and a half hour ride.

I think on the hard-crust type snow, the 3-inch tire would suffice, but deeper/softer snow, the wider the tire the better.

Dan

Fat bikes are fun but climbing can be brutal (depends on engine). I've had a fat front wheel on my 29er for about 7 years, before it got really popular. Now I'm good with just a 29er wheel. 29er+ will be plenty good but I haven't tried it yet. The Fat bike will track really nice in snow, sand, and rocks.

If given the option, I'd get a fat bike frame/fork 1st then later add an extra 29+ wheelset.

I have been riding a Pugsley for the past year and a half and love it... I got the symmetrical fork, so I don't have to use an offset rim.
This bike will take 29 rims if you want them, but I really like the footprint of the fatties. I have noticed that there is a momentum with the larger wheels that makes it easier to maintain cruising speed (on the flat). As far as pinch flats... no worries.

P1050650-s.jpg

I'm renting one to play with this weekend. I can't wait.

Fat bikes are a blast. They're no harder to ride up the steeps than a normal mountain bike, so long as you don't buy a pig. Fully rigid weights on them are getting to the <25# range.

That Niner ROS would be a lot of fun as a +, with the short chain stays and all..... otherwise, it's a really great bike as is.

A 29+ does not take the place of a fat bike when it comes to snow, sand and general funky stuff though. It doesn't have the float or patch.

I got a Salsa Mukluk close to two years back. Loved riding in snow and sand but it eventually became my primary ride. The Salsa was a bit portly so I upgraded to a full carbon Borealis Echo this summer. Have ridden it on the White Rim Trail and lots of MTB trails here on Western Slope and Moab. Fat = Fun.

Btw the Mukluk is for sale.

Ace
ImageUploadedByIH8MUD Forum1415164818.795287.jpg

When it comes to riding snow or sand there is no substitute for tire width, well except for HP. My Echo came with 3.8 tires and my last bike too. On a rescent ride on 4" of powder with another guy riding the same bike as mine he was making better progress and this was his first ever ride ride on a fatty. I came home and soon ordered a set of Surly Lou & Bud 4.8s. Next I've got to learn the best way to mount them tubeless. Then go play in the snow. That is not me but I can dream.

ImageUploadedByIH8MUD Forum1419562742.379783.jpg

My bud and lou setup tubeless pretty easy. I used the normal surly rimstrip, then a few layers of tyvek tape along the edges and center of the rim. Inserted the valve and stans, seated it with the compressor and been riding since. This was on mulefut rims.

I'm looking to pick up a salsa beargrease or a specialized fat boy in the coming months.

I'm looking to pick up a salsa beargrease or a specialized fat boy in the coming months.

I have almost 1800 miles on my Specialized FatBoy Expert since June - sand, dirt, loose rocks, road, hot, cold and a little snow; it's all good ;)

I still have the original 4.6" tires on her, but the rear is getting a little bald ... so ... I have a set of the Surly Bud & Lou 4.8" tires which I'll be mounting one day soon.

FatBoyRackS_15NOV14_zpsc2cc6289.jpg

I am dying to get a fat bike but I have a question: "are they slow trekking through desert?"

What do you mean are they slow trekking? The increased surface area and displacement will probably make them a little slower to ride initially but it is like anything else, you will learn and either compensate with how you ride or how strong you are.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom