Faster window motor ? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Ok , I drive an Excursion at work sometimes ... I've established that it wallows like a pig , but I've also noted that it's friggin electric windows could probably set records cracking coconuts !! Damn , they're fast .. almost ballistic :eek:

Anyway can I order some real kick ass motors for my '97 80 to achieve , or approximate this same speed ?? ( I think it's 6" per sec :p )

Thanks ,

Tyler --- *prepared to wear goggles and wince for fear of snapping glass , so long as I can actually go thru a coffee drive thru this winter without having to manually tug my pathetic windows up !!*

I would be interested in this as well...stock window motors are DOGS on these trucks.

How am I supposed to roll up my window while on the trail after handing a towel to a 40 driver and keep the rain out of my AC'ed truck while drinking champagne and eating my caviar?

:D

a while back,someone posted to the 80scool list about working on just such a project,but i havent heard anything since that initial e-mail.

i know what yer takin bout though,cause the 99 F250 SD i traded in for my cruiser had some seriously fast power windows!!!

good luck,and keep us posted

doug

I have heard that cleaning and lubricating the window runs with SIL-GLYDE or the like can help. I do not have personal experience with this operation.

D-

Take out the electric motor and paint TRD on it and send C-Dan $20. This will make your window go up and down faster 8)

This works with most parts but not all. C-dan will refund any $20 that he deem no improvment ::)

While we're going tangential , I will one up ya . I'll see your TRD paint job , and raise you one layer of Beo-esk 'Pristine'™ shrink wrap ...

Nowwww my windows will go up smokin , but will also never get dirty !! ;)

Tyler

Ps : For the ever-clean Beo option , I think he has a paypal account ...

I've tried cleaning and lubing the door frame window channels with barely noticeable improvement - not worth the time I put into it. I've heard it's partly a wiring issue wherein Toyota used a borderline guage to power the motors. Maybe someone could develop a harness a'la the headlight harness - heh.

As support for this, note that while one window is going up, pressing another window switch slows the first one considerably. This indicates to me that the wiring to the windows is borderline and adding more load to the wire drops the power easily. Try that on the Excursion and you won't see the same issue.

As relief to those who have not owned their 80 since new, be advised mine was like this from Day 1. So there's not a problem - just the nature of the beast. One question for our non-US brethren who may have a different wiring harness: Are your power windows similarly slow??

IdahoDoug

Ok, I remember a similar discussion from a while back, over on the 'ultimate' bb.. see if you recognize anyone on this one http://www.cruizers.com/ubb/Forum1/HTML/003834.html but I thought that there was another post over there where someone actually talked about upgrading the wiring, I couldn't find it.. or it was more than a year ago and I couldn't search back that far.

Anyway, HTH, I've learned to be patient with my windows and am glad they all go up and down, also happy to hear they were always this slow. -tim

[quote author=cruiserdan link=board=2;threadid=6338;start=msg51132#msg51132 date=1066229505]
I have heard that cleaning and lubricating the window runs with SIL-GLYDE or the like can help. I do not have personal experience with this operation.

D-
[/quote]

Sil-Glyde is good stuff but I prefer Astroglide :D

James at Cruiserparts was working on a motor up grade, never heard anything more about it.

taking the motors them selfs apart and cleaning and lubing them will help some, they get moisture in them over the years and get gummed up and or come of the metal bits get rusty.

I would imagine if you were real ambitous you could redo the wiring, kinda like a headlight wiring up grade, to get some more power to the motor.

John H

[quote author=Tyler link=board=2;threadid=6338;start=msg51195#msg51195 date=1066239682]
While we're going tangential , I will one up ya . I'll see your TRD paint job , and raise you one layer of Beo-esk 'Pristine'™ shrink wrap ...

Nowwww my windows will go up smokin , but will also never get dirty !! ;)

Tyler

Ps : For the ever-clean Beo option , I think he has a paypal account ...
[/quote]

when are we going to see more pics of pristine's "protection"?????

There's not a lot to see, you see, the shrink wrap is clear. Clearly you can't see something that's clear, now can you?

My power windows go up in a little over 3 seconds. Driver side and passenger side. Both at the same time is still about 3 seconds, maybe 4 seconds for both. They lower in a little less than 3 seconds. What's the big deal?

-B-

take out the whole power window assembly, install a 60 series window regulator and crank. faster windows :D

I wonder if a Ford or Chevy motor would fit in there with some upgraded wiring....

VOOOP!

ok i figured it out for you guys:either put a manual crank on and start working out with the left hand..(hey and switching up in the shower doesnt count)or just take the window it completly elimantes winding it up at all...

oops forgot the word "out" i was too busy trying the left hand thing

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom