Fast Audio / Wired iPhone Speaker? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

jaymar

SILVER Star
Threads
More urgent things to spend money on than a sound system. Still, it would be nice to be able to hear my phone while driving: podcasts, music, whatever. Is anyone with an iPhone using a WIRED speaker they're happy with? Meaning, one that plugs into the phone or a dock, can take being jostled around, and is DC or battery-powered? I'm NOT looking to hook the phone up to existing audio, because there is none. Thanks for any help!

JBL has a few wireless ones that you could plug into the USB to wire the phone in. They have a surprising amount of sound. I have a JBL Flip 3 and a Flip 5. The 5 pounds relative to the 3.

I found just due to the overall noise, I didn't matter what stereo I ended up with (currently use Alpine), audio books and podcasts had to be turned up too much. I can still hear them but some voices hit the same pitch as the background noise. I now just use my noise cancelling ear buds. I'm sure if I insulated the cab better and dropped serious coin into speakers it will probably be better. My 19 Tacoma isn't bad and I can listen to the same with the stock stereo speakers without issue.

I've run one of these for years and it's been great:

I preferred to keep the factory headset for a variety of reasons. Installed new door speakers, installed a new self-powered sub in rear quarter and then added the bluetooth adapter above. When the kids want to watch a movie on their tablet they can connect but most of the time I use it with my phone and it works great. When I don't want all the gizmos I can listen to old tapes or CDs which I often do :)

Looking for something I can use without Bluetooth or Wi-Fi. Wired. Plug the phone in. I have enough voices in my head already...

Last edited:
cb99fe96-e284-43ea-b17b-f6fb4b3aec0f_1.e754dcb8f88b8e47333d9a0ccf7fbd35.jpeg

Last edited:
JBL has a few wireless ones that you could plug into the USB to wire the phone in. They have a surprising amount of sound. I have a JBL Flip 3 and a Flip 5. The 5 pounds relative to the 3.
^^^yup^^^
This would be my recommendation as well. I’ve got a JBL Charge 5 and it’s amazing. Are you opposed to a Bluetooth connection for some reason ? ?

^^^yup^^^
This would be my recommendation as well. I’ve got a JBL Charge 5 and it’s amazing. Are you opposed to a Bluetooth connection for some reason ? ?
Just don’t want it running all the time. If it can be switched off, so it’s not constantly scanning or sending, I’m cool with that. You also have various quality issues when you’re not wired.

That Charge 5 will turn itself off at a certain point(maybe a half hour, idk). I take mine tons of places and it’ll last all day. Got a USB on the back to charge things as well. You won’t be disappointed with it.

don’t want it running all the time

I do have the bluetooth adapter listed above on a switch so that it's only on when I'm using it. I think you want any device like that one to have easy controls for disabling and power cycling.

On the ear phone front I have a set from Aftershockz that don't go in your ear but transmit through your bones. I wear these cycling and driving, so that I can hear what's going on around me, and they work great in both settings. Even though I can make calls through the bluetooth unit I listed above, which uses the built-in car stereo, (the mic is centrally mounted and works well) I often just use the Aftershockz for calls, particularly if I may need to stop and get out of the car/etc.

Just don’t want it running all the time. If it can be switched off, so it’s not constantly scanning or sending, I’m cool with that. You also have various quality issues when you’re not wired.

Quality concerns? Just put in a head unit then. If you are trying to run a standalone, plug in speaker, for your car audio you better be expecting some poor quality sound. And if legality in CA is your concern, the cop won't be happy to see you changing songs with your phone either, stop light or not...

Go to crutchfield.com, order a $50 head unit and the cheapest speakers you can find... install them... and it will be better than any other option. You can even get a head unit that plugs in with an aux cord...

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom