Farm use (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
He folks, I did a search but came up empty handed. I have a 100 series and have been looking into converting a Tacoma or tundra into a tray back for use on our farm. In Virginia there is no inspection or requirement to get license plates for a farm use vehicle. does anyone know if the same 25 year restrictions pertain to a vehicle which would just be plated as a farm use vehicle? I would love to import a newer 70 series tray back.

I know there is a provision for importing a newer vehicle for off highway use only, I believe that's how mine companies are allowed to run 79-series trucks. Not sure how it works, or what hoops have to be jumped through though.

I note some of the new LC mine trucks are orderable with Cummins EPA approved engines. You won't be able to get a non-EPA engine over the border, even if its for your forklift. if its for farm use only, it won't require any plates if not driven on the highway. DOT shouldn't apply for non-plated use here, and an exemption my need to be applied for.

Last edited:
There are two issues for DOT approval - the safety issues and the emissions issues. "Off road use only" (the farm use designation) would get you past the safety issues, however the emissions issues would still be a factor.

There is no such thing as "personal use", "farm use" or "off-road use" when it comes to a vehicle that was manufactured for road use. Note the options on the NHTSA HS-7 form. The mine trucks come in under a few different methods, primarily as cab/chassis that "requires further manufacturing operations to perform its intended function..."

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom