Farewell 3019 CZ (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I'm sad to report that my Landcruiser has been stolen. It was parked up at a railway station car park today whilst I went to a meeting - I returned 3 hours later to find it gone.

The Police don't consider there's much chance of finding it - even though it is such a distinctive vehicle, as there as been a spate of 4x4 thefts in recent weeks (now they tell me). They rekon the chances are it has been stolen to order and will be shipped to either Russia or West Africa.

You can imagine, this is a bit of a blow. My 80 was much loved. It carried my family safely around the country and even survived temperatures of -40 in the Czech Republic.
My daughter came home in my Landcruiser after she was born. My 80 was forgiving of my amateur attempts at mechanics. It also took me to meet fellow cruiser heads on SOR and now IH8MUD.

I'm trying to get a meeting arranged with the insurance assessor to show him the receipts for the various mods I made to the vehicle. Any tips on how to handle this?

Jim :(

Jim,

I am very sorry to hear that your rig got stolen, all I can tell you that here in the USA the Insurance Co. goes with what is considered to be the book value of the vehicle after getting an idea of how many miles are on the rig including model year and options, as far as the MOD's we need to provide them with a picture of the vehicle after every time we add something (appearance wise like tyres, suspension lift, bumbers, etc ) as far as engine componenets like S/C they do not take that into consideration.

Again I am very sorry to hear about your rig, wish I can do something........

Al

very sorry to hear that Jim
hope if you dont find it you can find another cruiser

I dont know what books they use in U.K but here, the insurance goes by n.a.d.a and it was lower than the others when I totaled our 4-runner last year so I looked up kelly and another on the internet, printed them out and brought them to the adjuster. It made a difference as he split the difference between the low one and the high one. &nbsp:Do your research it pays.
Good luck, let us know how things work out, and what your going to "replace" it with.

Oh Jim, that is really bad news. :'( :'(

I don't know what to say other than "I feel your pain." (Feeble attempt at a little Clinton humour.) I really do feel your pain though. It seems to me like your truck is part of the extended mudder family. We know more about your truck and the mods than just about any other truck on this forum. Let's hope they can find it!!!

As for dealing with the insurance... here in the US they would require pictures and receipts. You have plenty of pictures so round up the receipts for the dual fuel conversion and other stuff.

I wish you the best in getting it back in one piece.
-B-

Jim, sorry to hear about your loss. Have to agree with Desert on value of your mods. Most ins. co's would require that you document the sh!t out of them and or report them up front to get them covered in an event like this. Usually you are SOL. Never give up hope!

Thanks for the support my friends.
It's more than just the bother of having your car stolen - I know every nut and bolt on that car. It meant a lot to me and I think it felt the same way :)

Now some thief is probably sitting in some lock up listening to my CD collection and smoking my cigarettes :mad: One thing keeps coming to mind though - my emergency repair on the o2 sensor won't last long - let's hope it blows up on him at an inopportune moment ;)

I've got a meeting set up on Thursday. Luckily I have a folder full of receipts and photos to back everything up. I've got a valuation print out from every 'dealers guide'. Let's see what they say... I wonder whether they give it some time to see if it turns up or just offer ££

I'll keep everyone posted. One thing is for sure, being RHD it's not going to turn up on your shores..

Jim

Jim,

Forgot to mention that you have to wait for 30 days here in the US before you start the collecting/settlement ($$$$$) process, they call it recovery time to allow their inspectors and the local authorities enough time to help recover the vehicle if not you go to step #2 (discussing the vehicle value in today's market).

Hope they find it soon.

Al

Jim,
I'm sorry to hear about your loss.

Woody, Gumby,
Can we stick this post at the top of the list for a few days to give it more recognition? I don't know if it would help as most of us are here in the states, but it's worth a shot.

Does anybody post to the various 80scool list that send out an alert for folks to be looking out for Jim's Rig.

Good luck.

How efficent are the Constables? With only a 3 hour head start you may stand a chance if they move quickly. There is NOTHING that pisses me of more than a frickin' thief. :mad:

Jim,
That frickin sucks man. Really sorry to hear it. I've had 2 cars stolen and know partially how you may feel. One car I had was recovered after it was wrecked not far from the house, the other didn't end in such a good ending.

I know LC's aren't that common over there compared to the RR's, but maybe if the person has too many of your boddingtons that were prob in the cargo area he'll fall asleep at the curb.

Hope they find it quickly and hope you have a joyous reunion with it. If they find the guy, let us know and we'll bring you over some US Whoop Ass.

Jim, It is to late to help you but we should start a post on theft prevention.

Are there many 80 for sale their? Or in other countrys? Get a list of all that are like what you had with same mileage/kage(metric) that are 4sale. Take that with you. If you have to import one demand that they pay for it. In US they have to make you "whole" . That is, they must pay you how much it cost to get back to where you were before the theft, minus all the hard work and good times you had in it. If they won't pay for the non-stock items, try your home owners insurance.

kurt

ps; I hope you don't replace it with a LR. We would miss you.

Sorry to hear about your loss Jim. I hope it all works out for the best, and the thieves get their due.

Jim

That really bites - sorry to hear about your loss mate :'(

Was the alarm on, not that it likely did anything. I remember going to teach in the Kiev for 5 weeks and noticed a car with Ontario (Canada) licence plates - they hadn't even bothered to change the plates.

Cheers, Hugh

I can relate , Jim , on some fractional level .. my 93 4Runner was stolen when it was only 6500 miles old ! And when I imported the 80 , one of the border guards reported to me that next to land cruisers , 4Runners some of the most popular 4x4 stolen these days ... I hadn't told him about my runner , so of course I just cringed when he came out with that .

As for a mildly soothing fantasy ... how's this : We establish a team of TLC fanatic-psychos . When anyones cruiser gets the pinch , we mobilize them to that local , and in the midst of mayhem , sadistic tourtures etc etc , we 're-claim' that which is NOT theirs' !! ;)

My heart felt condolences on your loss . I know you poured a lot of soul into that rig . And I hope for it's speedy recovery .

Cheers ,

Tyler

Jim...I am sorry...that just sucks. Nothing else I can say. :'(

Jim -

When I read your post earlier in the day, I was so stunned that I could not think of anything to say. And as the day wore on, I got madder and madder because, like Dan said, I HATE frickin' thieves.

For anyone who puts as much energy into these trucks as we do - the members of this list - this kind of loss can be devastating. There can be a bright side, however... if worse comes to worse and you do not get it back, you can put all of your experience into the next one. There WILL be a next one.

And we will all be here to help you build it !

Cheers mate, Ron

Jim,i too would like to offer my condolences,while i have never had a vehicle stolen,i have had several breakins over the years and it really leaves you feeling a bit helpless in the long run,especially when the authorities can do little if anything to help.
Good luck and i hope you get another cruiser!!!!!!

doug

Hey that really, REALLY sucks. I know that you put a lot into it and I can't imagine how much that suck. Heck I would hate to lose my truck and it is all stock. I can sort of relate. My GF's Honda got broken into and they stole her brand new Alpine stereo and stole hers and mine CD's, and one thing in my life that's big is music. Sooo on a smaller scale I know how you feel. Good luck with the insurance and if I happen to see it over here in South Carolina I'll let you know. Hope everything works out in your favor man.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom