FAQs

What are birfields and what's wrong w/my antenna? I have no idea what a birfield is or how to check it and my antenna operates, but it clunks once it's down and it only goes about 1/2 to 2/3 of the way up before the clunking starts and the antenna stops.

I know both these topics have been covered ad naseum in past posts, but I'm hoping someone can help me out. Thanks!

Rookie2

Jenny Cruiser said:
What are birfields
It's inside that big ball that is on the ends of the front axle shaft, just inboard of the wheel. I guess you could say it's the equivalent of what most vehicle's have as a CV joint. Check the write-up in the technical link on the servicing procedure with some pics. to show you exactly what/where it is.

:beer:
Rookie2

That's what I thought they were. I've just always thought of them as a ball joint. I'll check out the tech link. They look fine for now. Not dry, no leaking or buildup.

gregc

1. birfield is a _type_ of constant velocity (cv) joint. The obvious sign that yours would need to be fixed immediately is a clunk-clunk-clunk when you accelerate while turning...like pulling out of a driveway. Left side usually seems to go before right, I believe. The tech section has more on what to look for, but unless your service records show cv joint or axle work, it would probably be worth taking a look at the axle seals, at least.

2. Spray the antenna with wd-40 or your favorite spray-lube stuff. My dad always used to use Wrech-Eez, so that's what I use :) Put the antenna up and down several times...also, make sure the antenna is lined up right; if one of the mast sections is bent/broken/pinched, all the wrench-eez in the world isn't gonna help. I'm sure you already know how lousy the 11-year-old stock stereo is....

G

I'll give it a lube and see what happens. It's got a single din Kenwood head unit in there now. I'm thankful for that even though I don't care for Kenwood much. Thanks!

Top Bottom