FAQ #1 EGR Code: 71,PO401 (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
If we are going to start a FAQ Sticky. This would be #1
We are going to have a FAQ Sticky arn't we?

What are the EGR codes for '95 and newer 80's?

If everyone that has fixed their EGR problem post their fixes.

Kurt,
Or you could do a search so we don't have to repost all the fixes. :D

-B-

I am waiting for the down load function to work so I can down load all the EGR info and look search it when I am off line.

I can't find my old modulators :'( Any one have their old failed modulators?

You mean like these?

egrmodulator1.jpg

egrmodulator2.jpg

egrmodulator3.jpg

I still have the thing as well.

Good.
Do you have a way to test for leak by putting light air pressure on the bottom port. I would assume a vacuum tester would work but it works by exhaust pressure.

I have these on my site courtesy of B I think:

egr_mod1.jpg

egr_mod2.jpg

I never checked my modulator since I was pretty sure it was toast. I just bought a new one (along with a new VSV valve the next week). I also replaced alot of the vacuum hoses to be on the safe side.

Derek,
Those were courtesy of either photoman or landtank. I don't have a scanner.
-B-

Sorry my bad...

I did a egr search and it only goes back to jan,2004.
I think there were egr problems before that :-\

[quote author=landtank link=board=2;threadid=10984;start=msg98759#msg98759 date=1075855798]
they look vaguely familiar ::)
[/quote]

I hope you don't mind my stealing the scans landtank :D

thanks ;)

EGR VSV was the culprit on mine. 2K miles later and no codes :)

I hope we get a sticky of some sort, like a lot of forums there are a lot of repeat questions, some are pretty lame (same question few lines down) but sometimes it is hard to search for the answer when you don't know what you are looking for

this might be a good addition has not been mentioned yet:

[quote author=cruiserdan link=board=2;threadid=9952;start=msg88362#msg88362 date=1073765754]

All of the recent activity pertaining to EGR troubles has reminded me of an instance our shop delt with a few years ago. Instead of posting this in an existing thread I thought I would start a new one in an effort to reach more members:

The vehicle in question was a 96 80 series that had a check-engine light triggered by an EGR malfunction. One of our master techs battled the damn thing for several days and numerous visits. He did all of the standard "fixes" that have been posted here ad-infinum.

He was about ready to push the SOB outside and set it on fire when he came to me. "are you driving your Cruiser today?" he asked. Smart a$$ me said, "Am I at work?" :D He said :flipoff2: "let me under the hood. I want to look at something"

Off we go to my vehicle. I opened the hood and he went straight for the vacuum hose that leads from the EGR valve to the intake plenum. On the surface it appears that this hose is drawing vacuum from the intake plenum. IT IS NOT. In reality it is a tube that TRANSITS the intake plenum and the other end of it is an attachment for the VSV! He applied vacuum to the "bib" off of the plenum and it "breathed" freely. The tube in the vehicle he was working on DID NOT, it was plugged up solid. He bypassed it with a length of vacuum hose and the system was healed.

This may or may not be something that would happen to other vehicles but I feel it is important enough to check out.

:cheers: D-

[/quote]

Now have replaced every componenet and still get P0401. Next component to be replaced is the whole pos truck.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom