Fan Upgrade? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I am in the process of replacing my radiator. I decided after taking it out that I would replace the hosed and v belt. Now, I am thinking that it would also be a good time to replace the fan from the old metal 4 blade to the plastic 6 blades (16361-60090).

Any recommendations? I hate to just throw away money but it looks like a worthy upgrade that may save money down the road.

Thanks,
Chris

Do I need to worry about spacers with either the Aisin (FNT017, $48) 8 blade through rock auto or the OEM 6 blade (16361-60090. $90) through Toyota? I have a pre-September '73 with the F155.

If so, where can a guy find the spacers?

Thanks,

You could call Cruiser outfitters also. A mud vendor and very knowledgeable.

When I went from the metal 4 blade on my 74 F.5, to the plastic 6 blade, it fit right up. I used the same spacer that was on there with the metal blade and the new blades seemed to be in the same position as the old ones.

The 6 blade diameter is 16" and the 8 blade is 16-7/8" so check your clearance.
Both measure real close to 1" from mounting face to rear edge of blades.
Overall thickness for both is 1-7/8".
I have both on the bench so my measurements are pretty close.
Not for sale but HTH.

it's not throwing money away if this doesn't happen to you:

Nothing more to it - just order the Aisin 6 blade from Rockauto. Cheap and hold onto your metal blade fan in case you decide to be totally original.
Refer to your sig line.

The only fan I saw listed on RA was an 8 blade, not 6. That, as Steamer hints at, will not fit in the F engine fan shroud.

I was intrigued enough by the possibility to have tried this conversion about 30 years ago when I acquired my first used 8 blade fan and quickly discovered the shroud issue. Fortunately I had a good used 2F shroud on hand and managed to get my truck back together the same day.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom