Fan "Spacer"???? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I've got the cruiser(FJ40) torn down for a bunch of reasons. The problem is that I replaced the waterpump and I'm switching from a metal 4 blade fan with a single groove pulley to a 6 bladed fan with a 2 groove pulley. Problem is, the new fan hits the harmonic balancer. If the fans was spaced toward the radiator about 1", no problem. Now I know there is a long-shaft and a short-shaft waterpump...well, I have the short shaft. I read a post about a fan spacer which would go between the pulley and the fan. The pulley actually lines up with the grooves on the balancer and the other pulleys.
So, my question is...a longer snout on the pump would knock the pulley out of alignment, so all I can do IS use a spacer, right?
So how did MR. Toyota do this?
BTW the motor is a '74 "F and a half", truck is a '66.
Thanks,
Ed Long ??? ???

OK, another question, does spacing the fan out there an inch create any excessive wear on the bearing? Looks like that is my only solution.
Ed

Ed,
You should be fine placing a 1" spacer behind the fan. Simply be sure everything is torqued well and balanced to prevent vibration. The only extra wear would come less from the fact that you were using a spacer and more from using a bigger fan.

I'm using a 3" spacer I got from old Mr. Cadillac in the salvage yard. No problems yet. :)

Ok, outside of Mr. Cadillac, where did you get them? O'Reilly has one, but it would take a bunch of grinding to get it to work. Guess I'll try NAPA.
The 6 blade plastic(nylon) fan blade is actually lighter than my old 4 blade metal and I think, more balanced.
Thanks, all.
Ed :)

I've found a bunch, but most have a 5/8" arbor hole in the center...not big enough for the waterpump. There is an "X" style that has no provision for any center relief, that's the one I took back. I figured that by the time I wollered it out, it WOULD be out of balance.
HEP ME
Ed ???

..I got a 1" spacer from Mudraks!!..Great guy..You could also call spector..I think they have them..But shipping was more than the part..I think they wanted $25 or 3$0 shipped for it..I went to Mudrack..8 bucks shipped!

Can you order online? If so, do you have a website?
Thanks to all.
Ed :)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom