Fan shroud (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Anyone know of a alternate fan shroud that will work on my 1992 land cruiser fj80 with the 3fe..

Dont really want to spend 140$ on a new one unless I absolutely have to..

Mine decided to come loose today on the way home and my fan tore it up along with my fan blades

Appreciate any advise thanks in advance

Do not be ‘Penny wise & pound foolish’ when it comes to engine cooling.

I will say the fan shroud is more important than people think. Let me explain. Even though my example is because of a cheap aftermarket radiator it involves the fan shroud FIT. When i bought the truck the PO had installed aftermarket radiator. The shroud fit but was obviously not fitting "perfectly". Way back on a trail, WAY up in remote Wyoming mountains, wheeling alone (smart) I went out for a overnight. Found a great spot and spent the night. Woke up in the morning to find my trail out was covered in frozen rain and fresh snow. I now know this is normal even in August. But not to be deterred buy some slippery rocks i locked up all the lockers and used some right foot. What i found was that as everything torqued just a little bit the fan caught the edge of the fan shroud. This cracked the radiator and dumped all my coolant. Not a good thing where i was. This was probably one of the worst trail "mechanicals" i had to fix because of my location and being alone. Luckly i had a 5 gal jerry can of water. I filled the radiator, and it would hold water for about 5 min. I also know the coolant gauge wont work without coolant. I knew there was a string of mountain lakes on my way out. So I would fill the system and drive like crazy about 5 min. shut the truck off and sit for about 30 min to let everything cool. Figure i had all day, better to burn time than cook a motor. Eventually i ran out of water and would fill the jug with lake water each time i came to a lake. I drove lake to lake. Finally got into a town which means a population for 200 in Wyoming. Decided a tow was cheaper than rebuilding a motor. $750 tow to get home sucked. Believe me when i tell you flushing lake water out of coolant system is an all day job. But you do what you have to do to get out of a trail. Looking back it is all now good memories but It could easily have been not so good.

Kind of funny that we argue about Toyota pink vs green coolant. I think they are both probably better than glacier fed lake water. I can only imagine some of the mud holes that have filled coolant systems in Africa.

I later diagnosed why this happened and it was not at all engine mounts. It was the fan shroud not fitting well. In this case it was because of the radiator. But i could see a aftermarket copy having the same issue. I dont like to cut corners on the coolant system. Not much more other than brakes and oil system that are as critical.

Even when everything fits, don't forget the foam or use something else to seal around where the factory foam would go. This makes a difference of several degrees even when everything else is going well.

Anyone know of a alternate fan shroud that will work on my 1992 land cruiser fj80 with the 3fe..

Dont really want to spend 140$ on a new one unless I absolutely have to..

Mine decided to come loose today on the way home and my fan tore it up along with my fan blades

Appreciate any advise thanks in advance
The fan shroud for the 3FE is NLA. Not sure where you're getting one from. I would look for a used one.

The fan shroud for the 3FE is NLA. Not sure where you're getting one from. I would look for a used one.
Yes I know its NLA Guess I should have phrased my question better.

So here it goes.. Firs of all thanks everyone for the advise.

My FJ80 does in face have a aftermarket radiator and the original fan shroud indeed didnt fit properly reason why my fan decided to eat it up lickily not sure how but did not puncture or hurt the radiator at all just damaged the fan blades and shroud…

With this aftermarket radiator is the reason why I was asking if anyone had some experiece with an aftermarket one or a DIY kit or something so I dont go spend 150$ on a used ran shroud and it happen again. Not trying to cut corners at all the Texas summer heat wont allow for cutting corners.

The radiator I have is an aluminum one that I got off rock auto a while back has worked good for me thus far just need to come up with a different way to do a few things.
I know the proper thing would to be find a oem radiator and shroud but there quite expensive and not trying to spend all that money on something that I would not use when I do the v-8 swap in the near future.

Thanks again

I will say the fan shroud is more important than people think. Let me explain. Even though my example is because of a cheap aftermarket radiator it involves the fan shroud FIT. When i bought the truck the PO had installed aftermarket radiator. The shroud fit but was obviously not fitting "perfectly". Way back on a trail, WAY up in remote Wyoming mountains, wheeling alone (smart) I went out for a overnight. Found a great spot and spent the night. Woke up in the morning to find my trail out was covered in frozen rain and fresh snow. I now know this is normal even in August. But not to be deterred buy some slippery rocks i locked up all the lockers and used some right foot. What i found was that as everything torqued just a little bit the fan caught the edge of the fan shroud. This cracked the radiator and dumped all my coolant. Not a good thing where i was. This was probably one of the worst trail "mechanicals" i had to fix because of my location and being alone. Luckly i had a 5 gal jerry can of water. I filled the radiator, and it would hold water for about 5 min. I also know the coolant gauge wont work without coolant. I knew there was a string of mountain lakes on my way out. So I would fill the system and drive like crazy about 5 min. shut the truck off and sit for about 30 min to let everything cool. Figure i had all day, better to burn time than cook a motor. Eventually i ran out of water and would fill the jug with lake water each time i came to a lake. I drove lake to lake. Finally got into a town which means a population for 200 in Wyoming. Decided a tow was cheaper than rebuilding a motor. $750 tow to get home sucked. Believe me when i tell you flushing lake water out of coolant system is an all day job. But you do what you have to do to get out of a trail. Looking back it is all now good memories but It could easily have been not so good.

Kind of funny that we argue about Toyota pink vs green coolant. I think they are both probably better than glacier fed lake water. I can only imagine some of the mud holes that have filled coolant systems in Africa.

I later diagnosed why this happened and it was not at all engine mounts. It was the fan shroud not fitting well. In this case it was because of the radiator. But i could see a aftermarket copy having the same issue. I dont like to cut corners on the coolant system. Not much more other than brakes and oil system that are as critical.
Great story been there before and not trying to do kt again except mine was a little worse ending with total engine failure was alot younger and thought I could make it but i thought wrong

I bought a new OEM fan shroud for my fzj80 recently. Was less than $100 through partsouq.
At that price why mess about without an alternative vs oem that fits like a glove
Part souq doesnt have any and I need one for a 3fe there different

Don't do it. Just get the OEM fan shroud. Mine was cracked at the top and i was too lazy to put a new one on and one day the fan decided to grab a piece of the plastic while i was climbing an obstacle and took out my $1600 Ron Davis radiator. Long story short, a $150 fan shroud is not a bad investment afterall...

Don't do it. Just get the OEM fan shroud. Mine was cracked at the top and i was too lazy to put a new one on and one day the fan decided to grab a piece of the plastic while i was climbing an obstacle and took out my $1600 Ron Davis radiator. Long story short, a $150 fan shroud is not a bad investment afterall...
Thats what I had on the vehicle and look at it now its all torn to pieces due to it not mounting correctly so if i go and soend the 150$ everyone wants for a used one it most likely will just happen again. Im not opposed to getting the oem one but trying to see what other options are out there that people have come up with…. There is always another way besides oem that will work just as good. I just know there are people on here that have way more experience then I do and was wondering what they may of came up with….

Summit has several universal fan shroud kits. If it was me and the OEM is no longer available I would find the closest match to the factory spec on and build it from one of the kits. Biggest thing is to replicate the factory as best as you can. Depth of the fan in the shroud and clearance of fan to shroud etc... Summit Racing SUM-380482-SH Summit Racing™ Adjustable Aluminum Fan Shroud Kits | Summit Racing - https://www.summitracing.com/parts/sum-380482-sh
Thanks Ill take a look at those and see if they might work or not appreciate it

I would guess a universal cab shroud won't be a hell of a lot less money. Then you'll have to build it, figure out how to mount it, modify it to suit etc etc

Are oem no longer in production? Or just not in stock with partsouq?

It would be easier to go oem, new or used, and figure out what is wrong with how it is mounted. An oem one was on there 30 years with no problem

I would guess a universal cab shroud won't be a hell of a lot less money. Then you'll have to build it, figure out how to mount it, modify it to suit etc etc

Are oem no longer in production? Or just not in stock with partsouq?

It would be easier to go oem, new or used, and figure out what is wrong with how it is mounted. An oem one was on there 30 years with no problem
I agree alright let me ask this question who knows where to get an oem one at a decent price?

OEM is PN: 16711-61260 and I believe they are no longer available but maybe some dealers still have old stock. I would also check you motor mounts because that is often the real root cause of broken fan shrouds.
Yea I checked the motor mounts they are definately old but not the corporate Going to order them as well though thanks for the PN

^^^

Motor mounts: Often times you can not tell if they are broken just with a visual check. To be certain, you must jack the engine upwards a bit…looking for separation.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom