Fan Shroud Not Fitting on OEM radiator (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Fzj80 1997

SILVER Star
Threads
I’m changing out the radiator on my 1997 80 series. I have the new radiator in, but the shroud is hitting the lower radiator hose and not sliding into place. The radiator is an oem Toyota unit straight from the dealership and the shroud is also oem from what I can tell (has that t looking symbol on it). Am I missing something stupid? Did the dealership give me the wrong radiator?

66C619B0-A6E6-4F59-831B-8AEE1D988E5B.jpeg

D2E040C1-FEC9-4734-8E58-09F0B36F28C8.jpeg

F804841B-F985-4CE5-899B-5DD2E1AD6204.jpeg

Last edited:
Looks like everything is correct except where it's hitting. Are the lower shroud tabs in the correct spot? Is there any play up and down so you can move it off the hose then tighten it?

Check the cooler lines on the driver side of the shroud. If they are pushing on the shroud, it will be more difficult to seat. One of the lines is supposed to clip into the shroud, though the clip is often broken on most 80s I’ve seen.

most likely hitting the trans cooler line fitting on PS- it might be angled the wrong way. It should be angled down to clear the shroud.
also there is a tab on the shroud that slides into a clip, line that up. But if it's hitting the trans cooler line, dont force it. Readjust the fitting.

It also might just be misaligned on the driver side, so make sure that tab is not blocking you from straightening the shroud. Trans cooler lines may be needed to be moved by hand to get wiggle room.

Make sure you have proper clearance, so the fan isn't hitting the shroud. It gets close down there.

Thanks for responding. I’ll look into it some more tomorrow and give an update

X2 on pulling the battery and tray! I find it so annoying to do otherwise and it takes two seconds to pull those out and get them out of the way. Plus I find it's just far too easy with old brittle shrouds to crack them if you even try forcing them the slightest.. better to open up the workspace and make sure it's sitting correctly

Took out the battery tray and it’s confirmed... I’m an idiot. After the tray was removed, the shroud went right into position. Thanks for the help.

Not an idiot!!! Idiot would have been smashing it around and cracking it in pieces without posting a question up on Mud.
It's never dumb to ask for help. Glad it worked out.

most likely hitting the trans cooler line fitting on PS- it might be angled the wrong way. It should be angled down to clear the shroud.
also there is a tab on the shroud that slides into a clip, line that up. But if it's hitting the trans cooler line, dont force it. Readjust the fitting.

It also might just be misaligned on the driver side, so make sure that tab is not blocking you from straightening the shroud. Trans cooler lines may be needed to be moved by hand to get wiggle room.

Make sure you have proper clearance, so the fan isn't hitting the shroud. It gets close down there.
I just changed the radiator on my 97 FJ80 and I had the same problem and you are right about the trans cooler line. It must be angled down for the shroud to fit. (It's still a tight fit).

The trans lines can be clocked down. I got a TYC1918 radiator and the radiator could not be installed the way the lines were clocked. I loosened the retaining nut, rotated the tube, and tightened the nut. No leaks, clearance, and all works well. Sure I wish it would have been perfect out of the box but it was a really easy fix.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom