fan shaft can wiggle w/ my hand (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
It wiggles when I grab a fan blade and try to. It seems to growl like metal against metal when idling,THERE WAS A FAN BELT SQUEEK THAT WAS NOT THERE BEFORE AT IDLE. when you throttle up is holds the shaft straight but still growls

IS THE WATER PUMP GOING?

Last edited:
Hmmm...Usually when a pump is going, it will weep out of the 8-9 o' clock position.

so the bearings are going that means the pump is going to fail next right?

My water pump bushing went bad and my fan ended up in my radiator. You should fix yours soon.

I am a firm believer in changing out wobbly bearings especially in water pumps.

Flashback to around 1992....as a crewmember of my buddies racing team I find a somewhat slight wobble in the water pump via grabbing the fan after winning the heat race.

Ahhh it will be alright...

Flash ahead to leading the feature with a couple laps to go with a good lead...
Pooooof she goes up in steam.
Fan , pump , radiator, hoses, belts, you name it all trashed.

Bye bye trophy and 500 bucks

Change it.

The first question should be... Did you check and make sure the nuts holding on the fan blade are tight?

yes my er the nuts are tite. I heard a change in the sound of the fan belts THEY HAD A SQUEEK THAT AT IDLE THAT WOOD GO AWAY AT HIGHER RPMS. THE PULLEY AND SHAFT WERE WIGGLING CAUSING THE SQUEEK AT IDLE. SO LISTEN TO YOUR BELTS THEY DO TALK WHEN THEY NEED HELP

Your fan clutch could be going bad. Grab the plastic blades of the fan near the clutch and see if it wiggles on the shaft.

If it is going bad, it can knockout the waterpump over time do to an out of balance situation.

replacing water pump, tstat hoses, getting rad repaired so many say replace I guess I will find out....

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom