fan pointing toward the carb... (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Hello Everyone,
Last July my 60 suffered from a bad case of vapor lock. It took about an hour on the side of the road, waiting for the carb to cool before I could get it back home. The same day/at the same time my AC quit working.
Fast forward to this week...now that it's starting to get hot in GA I wanted to try all the usual fixes to see if I could get the AC running, fuses, connections, etc. I noticed that the fan on the drivers side that has a vent pointing at the carb was unplugged. I plugged it in but it doesn't seem to blow air while the engine is on. I was thinking that maybe there was a thermocoupler that turned on the fan once a certain temp was reached. I drove it around and when I returned home the fan still wasn't blowing.
Any information or suggestions would be greatly appreciated.
Thanks

Ding ding ding! We have a winner in "guess that part"

Hello Everyone,
Last July my 60 suffered from a bad case of vapor lock. It took about an hour on the side of the road, waiting for the carb to cool before I could get it back home. The same day/at the same time my AC quit working.
Fast forward to this week...now that it's starting to get hot in GA I wanted to try all the usual fixes to see if I could get the AC running, fuses, connections, etc. I noticed that the fan on the drivers side that has a vent pointing at the carb was unplugged. I plugged it in but it doesn't seem to blow air while the engine is on. I was thinking that maybe there was a thermocoupler that turned on the fan once a certain temp was reached. I drove it around and when I returned home the fan still wasn't blowing.
Any information or suggestions would be greatly appreciated.
Thanks

That is indeed a fan to stop vapor lock. There should be a connecting wire going to the manifold. If it is unconnected (burnt through most likely) the fan won't come on. if the fan is grounded from that wire there is a relay that kicks it on when you turn off the ignition. Not sure if you can still order the relay and thermocouple from Toyota, but cruiserparts (MUD vendor) and others can sell ya a good used one for about 30 bucks.

My FJ60 has it setup on the 30 minute relay method, since I haven't bothered changing the thermocouple. I get people walking up to me all the time telling me that there is some sort of fan running on my truck. :)

Search the 60 forum for carb fan, and you will find a wealth of additional info, including pictures of where that thermocouple should attach to. Also search for posts by Coolstream for questions about the A/C system - Rex is a cruiserhead here in Tucson and has mucho experience with the FJ60 a/c systems.

Glenn in Tucson

Just ground the single wire that would have gone to the thermocouple anywhere on the fender. It's usually fried 'cuz it's so close to the exhaust manifold. Fan will run for about 15 mins after you shut off the engine, regardless of ambient temp or engine temp.

Thanks guys for the info. I'll keep y'all posted on the progress.

73, James - KF4AQO Sent from my iPad using IH8MUD

I searched for and read the threads. I've posted a photo of my fan etc on another thread that my post may have resurrected. My wiring doesn't look like any others I've seen.
Thanks again for the help.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom