Fan is always on. . . (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
checked my fan to see if it was the culprit for the overheating problem I am consistantly having, but it starts as soon as the motor starts and blows pretty hard over the engine. is it always supposed to be on?

thanks

yes its always turning, however as the motor gets hot, it will lockup more, when its locked up the most it will sound like a jet taking off.

The shaft is always turning but the fan is not supposed to be "always on"--it will come on at startup and then the clutch will release it if it is the engine is not hot enough to need it. If it's always on, it's not working 100% correctly. I notice the power loss from the drag when it's on, and the noise John mentions is louder than you realize until you have one that clicks off...

Tim
88 fj62 TLCA

My fan has an on/off switch in the dash that comes on as soon as the ignition key is turned to On. Is this a common thing for an 85 fj60? Is there a specific reason for this or just how the previous owner rigged it?

another line said:
My fan has an on/off switch in the dash that comes on as soon as the ignition key is turned to On. Is this a common thing for an 85 fj60? Is there a specific reason for this or just how the previous owner rigged it?

Do you mean the clicking sound? Thats the igntion relay getting electricity.
When it dont make that noise it wont start

If mine is not working 100% correctly i am worried. Worried simply because I have overheating issues. Pimp, when you say Lock-up does that mean it will stop the hotter it gets?
tjg

the fan is always turning, but as the motor gets hot it will lockup more and more, it will never fully lock 100%, but as it gets hot will take more resistance to turn by hand.

good test I do is. block the grill off with cardboard(or whatever, I use the corex for sale signs I have laying around), close the hood, start up the cruiser, let it idle at a bit over 1000RPM's, as the motor gets hot you will hear the fan "lock up"(but it will never be 100% locked, if it is, its not working right) Now take the cardboard off the grill and mist the rad with water, you will hear the fan kick down(no more jet plane taking off)

gillti said:
If mine is not working 100% correctly i am worried. Worried simply because I have overheating issues. Pimp, when you say Lock-up does that mean it will stop the hotter it gets?
tjg

My fan actually has a manual switch to turn it on and off, but when it is in the on position it comes on when the the key is turned on. Is this common or something that has been customized?

That sounds like a good way to test it Landpimp!
For a long time after buying my cruiser, I would occasionally hear a faint whirring noise. I'd ask my wife if she heard it and she would say 'hear what?'. But I could hear something 'whirr up' and later 'whirr down'. Originally I thought that the noise was associated with the A/C, but noticed that it came on without the A/C being turned on. Then one day I realised that it must have been the fan clutch!!
My cruiser has the 12H-T diesel, and there is soundproofing on the firewall and under the bonnet, so that may be why it not that noisy.

OK, we are taking about 2 different things, the thread is about the cooling fan for the radiator.

you are talking about the carb cooling fan. It should not have a switch, its suppose be controlled by a temp sensor under the hood.

another line said:
My fan actually has a manual switch to turn it on and off, but when it is in the on position it comes on when the the key is turned on. Is this common or something that has been customized?

my test came from an Aussie, Norm Needlam(sp) .......I take no claim for it ;)

RoddQLD said:
That sounds like a good way to test it Landpimp!
For a long time after buying my cruiser, I would occasionally hear a faint whirring noise. I'd ask my wife if she heard it and she would say 'hear what?'. But I could hear something 'whirr up' and later 'whirr down'. Originally I thought that the noise was associated with the A/C, but noticed that it came on without the A/C being turned on. Then one day I realised that it must have been the fan clutch!!
My cruiser has the 12H-T diesel, and there is soundproofing on the firewall and under the bonnet, so that may be why it not that noisy.

now that a carb cooling fan has been mentioned, let me ask you this pimp: mine does not work, I have one off my old 40 that looks about the same, are they? I know that one works because I have hooked a battery up to it, don't know about the one currently installed. However, that doesn't help with overheating does it? just cooling once stopped, or am i crazy?
tjg

not sure about all years but my 82 fj40 carb fan looks like the same as my 86 fj60

no it won't help overheating, its really to stop the carb from vapor lock.

gillti said:
now that a carb cooling fan has been mentioned, let me ask you this pimp: mine does not work, I have one off my old 40 that looks about the same, are they? I know that one works because I have hooked a battery up to it, don't know about the one currently installed. However, that doesn't help with overheating does it? just cooling once stopped, or am i crazy?
tjg

I think I'll work on switching them out anyway. Can't hurt to have it working. Any tricks on disengaging the wiring at the bottom? Does it work better with a screwdriver. Couldn't do it with my hands.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom