Fan hitting Shroud (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I was driving my cruiser yesterday and I kept hearing this noise like the tire hitting the fender. I thought that was indeed what it was because I rolled the cruiser a couple weeks ago and the fender is bent. I flexed it out though and the fender is further away now and there is no way the tire is hitting it.

After further inspection it seems that the fan may be hitting the shroud and making the noise I hear.

The fan has notches in it from the shroud so it is or has definitely hit it before. I thought that was an old injury though when looking at it. It seems that some of the wounds were fresh though.

My quandry is this - the fan is a good ways from the shroud and pretty much centered. Is there something you can guys can think of that would allow that much movement between the two pieces?

I double checked my motor mounts to make sure the bolts were still present and they are (those were missing when I got the cruiser). The Radiator and shroud seem firmly bolted down.

Is it possible my frame is flexing enough for the two to rub?

Mine does that as well, especially when flexed and I assume the frame is flexing... since my shroud is made of airduct potmetal, I just cut some slits in it and bent it out where it was hitting. Still hits at times but not as bad... one day I will make a shroud or get a shroud with better clearance I suppose.

Recheck your motor mounts as the bolts can be intact and tight but the motor mount is broken in the middle. Front driver's side is usually the culprit.

Also, check your radiator mounts as the radiator could be moving as well.

do you have the radiator supports that go to the frame and cowl installed?

Yeah those supports are installed.

I looked at the motor mounts and they didn't look broken, but I was going to try to jack the engine up and see if they are just smashed together under the heafty weight of the 2F.

My Cruiser had the same issue and caused me grief for a while. What had happened was the motor mount bracket had broke. It was the drivers side in the middle of the bracket just below the top bolt. The bottom two bolts would allow the mount to rock enough to cause the fan to rub. The crack was not visible until I actually took the mount off. My Cruiser had been laid on its passenger side.

Scott

4x4 above the rafters with a chain and a come-along. Lift the engine and give it a good shake.

Had same prob but only happened when I was trying to climb stuff and putting torque on the drive train when the left motor mount would separate and lift that side of the engine putting the fan into the shroud. I just took off the motor mounts and drilled them and ran a bolt though.

I bet the motor mount is broken then. I guess laying it on its side did more damage than I thought.

Like I said when I got the cruiser the bolts for the motor mounts where missing and I would hear this noise like a toolbox being dropped when I hit bumps then when I put the nuts on problem solved.

Yesterday I heard that same noise...

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom