Fan for rear heater in FJ40 (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Just took apart my rear heater to see why the fan wasn't working. The fan motor and blade are missing. I don't even have a core to rewind. From a few searches, these seem to be made of Unobtanium. Any suggestions for a substitute? Anybody adapt a computer fan to this or other suggestions?

There's a thread somewhere here of modifying a 4runner blower to fit the rear heater.

Found it

The stock ones are usually repairable if you can find one cheap. The round heater cores on the other hand...

Last edited:
Just took apart my rear heater to see why the fan wasn't working. The fan motor and blade are missing. I don't even have a core to rewind. From a few searches, these seem to be made of Unobtanium. Any suggestions for a substitute? Anybody adapt a computer fan to this or other suggestions?
I’ve got one that’s seized. If you wanted it to try and fix, it’s yours for the cost of shipping.

I just "repaired" mine. It worked once just fine, then the 2nd time I tested it it smoked a little. I'm going to have to dig back into it and see what happened.

I believe the issue is that I didn't clean up the bushings enough before reassembling.

@Skreddy, if the OP decides to go the more-modern 4runner route (seems like a good idea), I'll take a shot at refurbing the one you have.

If @jhsmith doesnt want it, it’s all yours @Fast Eddy here are some pics. It will turn by hand but is very stiff.

264B8CA4-DCE9-4FD1-A2E0-A328F75B7A04.jpeg
5ACF0542-787D-4F5A-9EF8-A9CB571287DA.jpeg
B2066569-19A3-453A-82ED-28C6BC6283E5.jpeg
5E158F9E-F43E-4840-97CA-95C19ED0DB33.jpeg

I used one from an fj62 because it has all the controls on the unit, get water and power, done, core replacable if needed, I ran a longer cable on the water valve lever and moved it from part of unit to inside engine bay, easy, works. fan is good and it wouldnt take much to rivet on a duct 2" to go up front for defrost & heat, I riveted on a 2" duct that I made with a hub from an electrical panel & short piece of 2" with a flapper, came with a nice little handle , then its flex. I carry a extra piece of flex that streches to like 20' for when its cold and we need to heat tent/bags, works.

Just take it apart clean it and oil the felts with some machine oil and it should be good to go. the only thing that kills them is the brushes get worn down and the springs wont keep them in contact . As long as that plastic tray holding them is good you can fix those little guys. The rust can be an issue but if you carefully clean it I have brought back two of them from looking like the rust bucket in the first picture.

I'm going to try an approach using one of the pancake computer fans. So please don't hold any parts for me. Will post the results when I complete it. I'm likely to reuse the core and bottom mount but fabricate a new top.

If you're going to try the pancake fans you'll need 4 or more as they need to blow through the fins to spread the heat.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom