Fan clutch (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I have a FJ62 and i noticed that when i sit idle for a while, like in a traffic jam my cruiser will get really hot, i replaced my thermostat about 5 months ago so i know it is not that, i am pretty sure it is my clutch because i can hold the fan while the engine is running, alos i have never heard the fan kick on when it gets hot (i think it should right?). Anyways, what is my best bet? How do you replace the clutch, remove the fan shroud, and remove the fan and clutch? Also where is the best place to buy the clutch?

Thanks Matt

It does sound like your fan clutch is bad. Get a new one from Toyota. Cruiserdan at American Toyota can get one for you at the best price you will find. To swap it out, you must remove the shroud from the back of the radiator, but it's even easier if you remove the radiator itself. If you remove the radiator, you could take it to a radiator shop and have it boiled out, which might not be a bad idea. This is also a good time to replace all the hoses, so that your cooling system will be in top shape.

when i did mine i couldnt get the shroud out of the damn truck but found plenty of room if i just turned it long ways. other than that its an easy easy job. about 20 min to half hour
also cruiserparts.net has used clutches for 20 bucks.

toyota fan clutches are rebuildable IIRC. you can buy the grease or oil from toyota cheaper than a whole clutch.

I had the same problem too, but I also replaced the water pump. I did'nt have to but I was going on a long trip in the summer and I had to replace the oilcooler hose on the bottom of the pump. A lot easier to replace when all the crap on the front of the engine is removed. CruiserDan sold me a pump that included a fan clutch. I think I paid $100 or so. Best money I've spent on my 62 in a long time. My temp gauge stays at the half level and does not move. Buy factory parts, all others will just piss you off.

2badfjs said:
toyota fan clutches are rebuildable IIRC. you can buy the grease or oil from toyota cheaper than a whole clutch.

Yes and no. The silicone oil can be replaced, but it usually just buys you 6 months. Plus the silicone oil is not cheap and you run the risk of messing up the big o-ring. For an equal labor input, you can put in a new clutch which will last for 20 years. I've been through this, and carry my rebuild as a spare.

I would not use a used fan clutch, you have one of those already.:D

More Land Cruise engines die from overheating than all the other causes combined. If you are working on one part of the system, the other parts are suspect. Do it right and do it once. Much cheaper in the long run.

Thanks for the tips

stay away from used fan clutchs, I tried that route and its not worth the aggravation of doing the job twice when you find out its no good.

It was the fan clutch i bought one the other day and bam it fixed the problem. I do have to mention that i cut the fan shroud in half before i put it back in makes it a whole lot easier to work on now.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom