Fan clutch vs Fan Spacer (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Will a fan clutch and the attendand 7 blade fan fit on a '74 F1/2? I need to space the fan about 5/8-3/4" forward to clear my PS pulley.
Ed??????????

I don't believe you have clearance behind the radiator for the clutch and later model fan with an early water pump. The water pump for later model clutch fans is shorter, allowing room for the clutch and fan. I believe the pulley is also different between the two set-ups. I think you can install the later model (clutch fan) set-up if you install the appropriate water pump. One thing I'm not sure about is any differences in mounting of the radiator from the early 70s models to the later 70s models (block to radiator distance). Anybody ever compare the block to radiator measurement of a '74 to, say, a '78? Ige?

HTH.
Todd Bull.

Thanks, Todd. I know there are long and short versions of the waterpump. But like you said, there must be a pulley that goes with it, 'cause mine all line up now. The radiator has some fore and aft adjustment and I've got mine set as far forward as possible. Looks like there is plenty of room.
Is there anything I should check about the clutch itself before installing? I have read posts about servicing them?
Thanks for the input.
Ed

Todds correct, the pulley on 74 has holes spaced differently then a fan clutch. but swap water pump and new pulley it will work. AFAIK the radiators in all 40's are in the same spot, so that should be no issue

Ed,
I have a new clutch-type pump and used clutch, pulley, and fan buried somewhere out in the garage. I'll go take some measurements and let you know what I find.
Todd.

OK. Here are the measurements for a clutch-type pump, pulley, and fan. All measured from the engine side of the rear plate of the pump. The first pulley groove is ~3-3/4" from the rear plate. The second pulley groove is ~4-11/16" from the rear plate. The front of the fan is ~ 8-1/8" from the rear plate.

This is with a later-model CA pump (Toyota 16110-61081-77; SOR 054-24E/D-CAOEM), later model pulley, later-model clutch and nylon fan.

HTH.
Todd Bull.

I've never serviced a fan clutch. From other posts I've read, it's a simple procedure, but I think there may be a problem finding the silicone now. You'll have to check with Toyota on that, or go through the archives. I would install the clutch and fan and see if they work OK. If not, removal for servicing is easy.

Thanks all. I've got a clutch and fan on the way for $20 total, so I'm not out much if it won't work. I've got the old 4 blade metal fan and it will work w/o modification. But I've also got a 6 blade non-clutch fan and would like to use that on the premise that 6 are better than 4 at pulling air thru the radiator. I'll have to mod the fan spacer I've got or use a different one to make the 6 blade nylon fan work.
I'll let you know how the book ends. ;)
Ed

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom