Fan Clutch Replacement - Remove Belts? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I just replaced my fan clutch/fluid coupler on my 1997 LX450 last night. I didn't remove the double belts as recommended in the Haynes manual (don't worry I have the FSM as well), is that a problem? Any ideas why it would be necessary to remove belts for this procedure? Of course the belts did loosen up when the fan clutch was removed as the pulley moved forward, but tightened up just fine when the new fan clutch was in place.

The FSM doesn't provide the procedure for just the fan clutch replacement, but addresses it in the procedure for replacing water pump. Of course replacing the water pump would require removing the belts. The replacement went fairly smoothly and the fan seems to be working the way that Toyota intended it to work now.

I don't know but I did this about a month ago and have had no problems. I think as long as the pulley doesn't wobble after everything is tightened you should be ok.

Actually the last thing you do after you put belts on (besides the shroud) is tighten the pulley. You did everything right.

Good to hear. I took one look at the bolt that loosens the belts and not only was it hard to get to, but it was pretty rusted. I am guessing it is much easier to get by taking out the battery and holder.

Thanks.

JZenger said:
Good to hear. I took one look at the bolt that loosens the belts and not only was it hard to get to, but it was pretty rusted. I am guessing it is much easier to get by taking out the battery and holder.

Thanks.

It was for me. :D

How did you get the belts off if you didn't loosen the tensioner?

Never mind... I thought you replaced your belts as well. Forget dumb response below.

Since the FSM doesn't really address this.....

Can I replace the fan coupler by just removing the 4? small bolts that fasten the "flange" onto the shaft? Then I assume wiggle the fan/clutch assembly out of the shroud ?

Riley,

You'll need to unbolt the shroud from the radiator to enable you to slide the assembly out the top between the shroud and the radiator. Removing the belts isn't required but it seems to me this is the perfect time to put new ones on and get them tightened properly. Save the used belts for spares as they will already be streched, enabling you to get them on easier in case of an emergency repair.

Put a heavy piece of cardboard against the radiator to keep from damaging the fins.

-B-

As usual multiple ways to "skin the cat". I'll start off with the cardboard and see how hard the shroud is to remove.

Thanks guys.

As usual multiple ways to "skin the cat". I'll start off with the cardboard and see how hard the shroud is to remove.

Don't need to remove the shroud, just the two top bolts and flex the right, top corner open to remove the fan.

I pulled my belts first before removing the fan coupler. I think that was a mistake. It's a real hassle trying to loosen the 4 nuts that fasten the coupler on. The whole assembly spins very freely (as you can imagine).

Currently I've got 3 of the 4 nuts lose and I did that by cinching the pulley wheel by using the old belts (just holding tight by hand). It's not easy and their must be a better way. I need to reset a bit before going after #4.

Any ideas welcome. But I suggest to others that are doing both belts and coupler to loosen the 4 nuts first before loosening the alternator belt. That extra tension might be enough to make this easier.

Use a long screwdriver or prybar between the stud and hub to hold it in place, be careful not to bugger the threads, or leave the belts on until after the nuts are out.

I was reluctant to use any pry bar on the bolts. Just too risky. Better to just put the new belts on and then change the coupler. I'm not sure why I didn't do that, I guess I really thought the belts should be off when doing this.

Anyway I replaced the coupler just fine. Bewulf was right about using heavy cardboard. I guess mine wasn't heavy enough or shifted a bit as I damaged just a few cooling fins on the rad. Probably about 1 or 2 aquare inches worth. Oh well.

I do have to say that the whoosh of the fan sure sounds good. Also nice to get those crappy cogged belts off of there that the PO had on.

Ok, summer heat, bring it on.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom