fan clutch rehab (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
My fan clutch went on me yesterday, I've seen somewhere they can be refilled with special silicone oil. The only procedure I can find on refilling them was for a fan clutch that shares no similarities to a toyota other than telling you to get the oil at toyota. Anyone know how to do it to a lancruiser fan clutch? I see what could be fill plugs but don't want to screw anything up.

Once upon a time when slowspeed.com used to exist, he had a really good write-up on exactly how to do it on the FJ60/62 fan clutch. The site no longer exists however... That article has to be around somewhere still though... look through the technical links in here. Its hard for me to belive no one would have kept that link...

Once upon a time when slowspeed.com used to exist, he had a really good write-up on exactly how to do it on the FJ60/62 fan clutch. The site no longer exists however... That article has to be around somewhere still though... look through the technical links in here. Its hard for me to belive no one would have kept that link...

Best I could find.

111111copy.jpg

Last edited:
Thats the exact article I was thinking of... good work...

it has the part number for the silicone which is the important part...

IIRC there was actually 2 different Viscosities of silicone fluid.

Depending on the climate where you live, one may be better than the other.

Last edited:
my 2 cents worth, rebuilt a few FC using the OEM fluid.......dont waste your time or money........just buy a new complete FC....

Thanks for finding that guys. I followed a link in the tech links earlier to no avail. I searched w/google and found how to do it on a porsche 928.

I put the one from my other truck on just think it would be nice to have a functional spare. I'm in south FL what oil would be best?

Here's the available Toyota weights

Part Number: 0881603001 List Price Core Price Your Price
SILICONE, VISC=3000C $11.38 $0.00 $8.82

Part Number: 0881606001 List Price Core Price Your Price
SILICONE, VISC= 6000 $12.21 $0.00 $9.46

Part Number: 0881610001 List Price Core Price Your Price
SILICONE, VISC= 10000 $12.21 $0.00 $9.46

FWIW, the problem w/ the fan clutches most of the time is the actuator shaft seizes where it passes inside the the clutch. The bimetallic is not very strong and eventually it can no longer rotate the (corroded) steel shaft where it passes through the aluminum clutch body. If you're lucky, penetrant and a needle nose plier may get the shaft turning freely again, for a while.

my 2 cents worth, rebuilt a few FC using the OEM fluid.......dont waste your time or money........just buy a new complete FC....

That's what I did. I thought my old one was still o.k., but the PO told me that his mechanic said it was no good.

When I took the old one out I had it facing down and the next day there was a puddle of fluid. That's not normal, right?:confused:

The old one does feel like it has a bind in it somewhere will take it apart later and see. I noticed I couldn't hear the constant whoosh of air from the fan or even at high rev. The one off my other truck is working great.

Someones been inside my fan clutch. Philips heads are all mangledthis will be longer than expected.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom