fan clutch question (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
When should the clutch engage? Mine engages the fan as soon as it reaches normal temp and stays on 90% of the time. Now it's giving me some belt chirping over 2k rpm, but only when fan is engaged.

That doesn't sound normal to me. It's hot out, but mine quits roaring after a high enough rpm, say in 4th gear. I'm not sure how these fail, but I was under the impression they did not spin when they should if they were going bad. Are you sure it is belt chirping and not the water pump going bad?

Mine engages when the factory temp gauge edges just over half way mark, then cycles on and off in hot weather. That's with the 190 t-stat
Note; the normal running temp with the 190 t-stat is very close to the temp that engages the clutch. It doesn't take much to make the fan engage, like up hills or towing for example. In weather over 35c my fan would be similar to yours, and on 90% of the time, but without the chirping.

Last edited:
Mine runs 99.9% of the time in the summer here in Phoenix. Mine, as far as I know, is original and I should probably replace it.

The waterpump and thermostat and radiator are only 9 mo old... belt is new too, and I could tighten it a little more I guess but it's not loose. It was really cool here this week (for August) highs in low 80s and upper 70s and the fan was still engaged almost all the time and this was gentle country road driving without AC on.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom