Fan clutch or no fan clutch? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I'm fitting out a 2F for my '40 and have come to the waterpump. I ordered what I thought was an oil cooler/fan clutch WP, but got an oil cooler/direct drive fan pump. I can return the waterpump as I have two fan clutches and an appropriate 7-blade fan. I have never had a clutch and don't know what it will add. Bailey pointed out its usefullness in deep water crossings, as in it does not tend to propeller itself through the radiator. Also supposed to get a little more HP when not actively spinning it.
Who has one, how important is it, likes and dislikes???

I can go either way at this point, fan clutch-wise, that is...

Ed

I have a fan clutch on my F, I like it, the fan pulls more air when it needs to and shuts off when the engin is running cool, quites things down a lot under the hood

Thanks, Busta', I've still got the box and will scrape a little siligoo off and see if I can return it. Anything that quiets anything down is.....gud.

Thanks,

Ed

if given the choice, go with the clutch.
if nothing else it'll save you a few bucks in gas......

only down side, when it quits and it WILL.....some time, you start running warmer in town traffic and the like.

Good to know, and I have a spare. Thanks, Brian.

Ed

What year is your truck Ed? I installed a later model clutch fan on my '76. I prefer it over the old 4-blade solid fan, for the reasons already mentioned. However, I later found a problem with retrofitting it to an earlier rig. In 8/76, I believe, Toyota moved the radiator about 5/8" forward to make way for the clutch fan. I didn't realize this when I installed one in the 2/76 truck. After my fan contacted the radiator and lost two blades during a run, I took measurements and compared the '76 to my stock '78. That's when I found the relocated radiator.

Moving the radiator 5/8" to provide the appropriate clearance was not too much trouble. I drilled new holes for mounting the radiator support, extended the support rods (cut off the threads and welded new, longer threads on), and extended the mounting tabs for the splash guard underneath so that it would still line up with the rad bolts/drain. I also had to trim off about 3/4" of the existing front shroud that was part of the radiator mount (the '78 does not have this front shroud).

Anyway, that's something to consider. I felt as though I had sufficient clearance when I initially installed the fan, but off-road flexing of the frame proved me wrong. It cost me a fan, but fortunately the radiator survived. One extra benefit of the mod is that I now have more clearance between the fan and rad and between the crank pulley and splash guard for replacement of the fan belts.

SOR has the later model water pumps (8/76 - 12/78 or so). It's the one with the shorter profile. You may also need the later model pulley, so that the belt grooves line up.

Good Luck.
Todd Bull.

Hey Spot, good info. My rig is a '64/titled as a '66. The motor is a 3-'77. My radiator support is "slotted" or rather where it mounts? is slotted and I already moved it forward when I went from the 4-blade "Cuisinart" blade to the 6 blade Nylon. Could slot it some more, and after listening to your story, I think I will.
So....do you like the clutch fan over the direct drive???

Thanks to all,

Ed

spotcruiser said:
What year is your truck Ed? I installed a later model clutch fan on my '76. I prefer it over the old 4-blade solid fan, for the reasons already mentioned. However, I later found a problem with retrofitting it to an earlier rig. In 8/76, I believe, Toyota moved the radiator about 5/8" forward to make way for the clutch fan. I didn't realize this when I installed one in the 2/76 truck. After my fan contacted the radiator and lost two blades during a run, I took measurements and compared the '76 to my stock '78. That's when I found the relocated radiator.

Moving the radiator 5/8" to provide the appropriate clearance was not too much trouble. I drilled new holes for mounting the radiator support, extended the support rods (cut off the threads and welded new, longer threads on), and extended the mounting tabs for the splash guard underneath so that it would still line up with the rad bolts/drain. I also had to trim off about 3/4" of the existing front shroud that was part of the radiator mount (the '78 does not have this front shroud).

Anyway, that's something to consider. I felt as though I had sufficient clearance when I initially installed the fan, but off-road flexing of the frame proved me wrong. It cost me a fan, but fortunately the radiator survived. One extra benefit of the mod is that I now have more clearance between the fan and rad and between the crank pulley and splash guard for replacement of the fan belts.

SOR has the later model water pumps (8/76 - 12/78 or so). It's the one with the shorter profile. You may also need the later model pulley, so that the belt grooves line up.

Good Luck.
Todd Bull.

Thanks, Good knowledge to pass along I noticed the difference int the water pumps between the 63f and the 78 2f I am putting in its place. I do not know if there is a pulley that would line up with a shorter WP. I have not had a problem with the 2f in my 69 fj40 yet but will check it out.

Degnol said:
So....do you like the clutch fan over the direct drive???

Absolutely. I think they cool better.

mallred said:
I do not know if there is a pulley that would line up with a shorter WP.

There's a proper pulley for it (8/76-12/78 and possibly later). I just bought mine used from a fellow lister or from ebay. I would imagine that SOR has them used, also.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom