Fan clutch needs changing (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
How many banana job is this? What all needs to be removed in order to get to the clutch to replace it?

jason

It's probably a 2 banana job. There are 4 10mm bolts that connect the fan to the water pump. There's a fan shroud that you will probably have to remove. I think there are 5 12mm bolts that hold it onto the radiator.

You may have to loosen the alternator belt and the power steering belts, but I can't remember exactly.

Once you remove the fan from the vehicle, there are 4 10mm nuts that hold the fan clutch to the fan.

That's it. You can definitely do it yourself. Good luck.

You can do it without rmoving the shroud, it just takes a little more patience. 10mm wrench is all you need, and if you have one of the gearwrenches, even better. Just hold the fan and give the wrench a smack to break the bolts loose, the spin them on out. With some finagleing, you should be able to get the clutch out with the fan shroud intact.

Hodag

Sounds easy...thanks.

Hopefully this will take care of my rough running!

Is the fan leaking silicone oil if so it will have a black sticky feel.The hub can be refilled with oil but you will need to check the bimetal spring to see if it is working correctly. Inspect the spring by eye to see if it is cracked or disconnected if it is ok hold a hair dryer or heat gun near it but not on it and you will see it operate ok.Also see the 80 section for a L-o-n-g debate on this.LOL.This one is off a 2H diesel.cheers
rainforrest787.jpg

rainforrest785.jpg

rainforrest782.jpg

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom