Fan Clutch issues (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

pinning the fan does no good because it spins independantly

Woops... Sorry should have checked. So did you remove the serpentine and strap the pulley from below?

I meant pin the clutch. Onur and I did it that way and it worked fine.
The clutch spins independent of the blue spindle, how do you pin the spindle?

The clutch spins independent of the blue spindle, how do you pin the spindle?

Onur had a crow bar and put the tip on the fan bracket (might of been water pump), and bend on the blue part and removed the nuts.

This is, by far the worst drawing ever.

image-3327433983.jpg

Haha thanks that's perfect I'll give it a shot

Last edited:
I finally finished this up Saturday. I got the first two nuts off by using 2 12mm wrenches. The last nut was a beating but I made a tool to help. I took skinny piece of wood, cut half a hole with a 2 1/8" hole saw, drilled two holes to match the bolt pattern and then used a jigsaw to turn the holes into notches.

To get it all the way out, I had to unbolt the shroud, remove the upper radiator hose and the intake tube. It still was a beast to wrestle out of there... I bent a few fins trying to get it back in.

fan tool.png

Onur had a crow bar and put the tip on the fan bracket (might of been water pump), and bend on the blue part and removed the nuts.

This is, by far the worst drawing ever.

I've done this on the 80-series and I swear I just used a big screwdriver wedged in the studs while I loosened one nut, then the next. It's been four year or so, and my memory of doing it is foggy. It wasn't difficult, though. Otherwise, I would remember every step !

I couldn't get a screwdriver wedged in there, it kept popping off

Looks like the fan clutch on my ‘99 failed and is now loose and rattles around. Serp belt came off. Does that sound like just the clutch would need to be replaced. Or are there other affected parts? I don’t have any experience with this issue.

Sound like a bad fan bracket. Bad fan bracket can damaged fan clutch and vs versa.
Watch the pulley under the belt connect to fan clutch/fan blade. The pulley is hung on fan bracket, with fan clutch/fan blade attached to it.

Sound like a bad fan bracket. Bad fan bracket can damaged fan clutch and vs versa.
Watch the pulley under the belt connect to fan clutch/fan blade. The pulley is hung on fan bracket, with fan clutch/fan blade attached to it.

Thanks, think you’re right. Can I replace without removing the radiator? Maybe just the fan shroud?

Thanks, think you’re right. Can I replace without removing the radiator? Maybe just the fan shroud?
If fan clutch. It can be removed, by only removing engine cover and air filter pipe. It's very tight and needs turning just right to work out. Other wise pull fan shroud halve-way out with fan clutch at same time.

If fan bracket. You will need to pull fan shroud, not radiator. Do your home work, before beginning. This job, is halve way to a timing belt job.

Last edited:
The fluid coupling is the fan clutch, the part you're after is the fan bracket, it's the bearing on that that's gone bad. But, good idea to replace the clutch as well depending on when/if it was last done. You can get an Aisin one from Cruiser Outfitters.

Replace both at same time. Aisin suggests that the fan bracket and fan clutch aka (fluid coupler) have similar service life- so if one’s worn out the other isn’t far behind it.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom