fan clutch identification, grey fluid? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
anybody recognize this clutch? and is this fluid full of aluminum shavings, or is it a different kind of fluid that was used?
009.jpg
011.jpg
012.jpg

I would not be reusing that fan clutch if it came out of my truck.

97' 80 with 157k

depends on your definition of functional. the truck wasn't overheating, but there was very little resistance at operating temps.

Last edited:
97' 80 with 157k

depends on your definition of functional. the truck wasn't overheating, but there was very little resistance at operating temps.

OK, at least it wasn't seized up. Did you get the "roar" at startup (1st start after sitting all night)? If you did get the roar, that would say that it was still capable of engaging.

I don't think that clutch is an Eaton. By comparing it to photos of the Eatons in landtank's thread, the fastener holes look different. The drive plate has 6 holes on yours and I haven't seen that in any photos here. From the condition of your fluid and given the difficulty to clean up the silicone fluid, you probably would be better off to replace it. If you can get your hands on a used Eaton or Aisin in good condition and drain and refill per the fan clutch threads here on Mud. They were OEM equipment clutches. Or pull the trigger on a new blue adjustable through Cdan. I'm no expert, but Kevin (Tools R Us) is the fan clutch guru. You might PM him to get his opinion.

Last edited:
The tolerances have to be very close, precise machining/assembly, for clutches to properly function. In this case it looks like parts are contacting each other, the gray/black is alloy particles, from parts rubbing on each other that shouldn't be.

That clutch looks like one from a local rig, that was removed after a very short life and had poor performance. When opened had the same problem, it is an aftermarket POS, get an Aisin or Eaton.

In the 3rd pic it's evident where this one was rubbing.
ed_fc_1.jpg
ed_fc_2.jpg
ed_fc_3.jpg

about the fan clutch .. it's any way to measure the performance of the fan clutch . ? in order to determine if it's working good or not ..

about the fan clutch .. it's any way to measure the performance of the fan clutch . ? in order to determine if it's working good or not ..

well, yes, there is the infamous "stick your hand in the fan" method that I used. Not recommended, use at your own risk! :)

well, yes, there is the infamous "stick your hand in the fan" method that I used. Not recommended, use at your own risk! :)

I use a cardboard .. :D but the FSM must have some kind of measurement for that .. ( even if they recommend use your finger :hillbilly: )

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom