Fan Clutch Fluid Change Report (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Just got back from a great trip: Julian, CA to Idaho (Weiser & Boise) and back. (Leaving tomorrow for Baja too.)
I was concerned about these summer trips in high heat, and last summer my AC cut out due to overheating during one hot border wait. (It was brief and came right back down with AC off.) On this last trip we were heavily loaded and had the cargo box on the roof too. Experienced outside air temperatures of 112 degrees yesterday around Inyokern, CA on HWY 395.
Just before we left I opened the fan clutch up, drained it and replaced the fluid with 20K. That's it - I did not adjust the clutch setting. I am so glad I did it and I'm very pleased with the results. Loaded the way were were, in that heat, driving the climbs we did, running AC the whole way, I'm pretty sure my stock RockAuto Aisin blue hub would have let me overheat at some point.
But, here's a shocker: I'm getting better mileage. I know it doesn't make sense. All I can surmise is that the engine temps are cooler and the EFI system is running the fuel a little leaner. (As you may know, you cool an engine by enriching the fuel/air ratio.) Running around 65-66 mph (true) loaded like we were with that box on the top I was getting above 15 mpg consistently.

IMG_1885 (1).jpg

IMG_1899 (1).jpg

IMG_1901 (2).jpg

Near Bodie, CA.

IMG_1983.jpg

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom