Fan Bracket Stuck (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
So im trying to replace my timing belt and water pump. (Just bought a LX w/ 202k miles, never been replaced) I am following the FAQ writeup by scottm but am stuck at the fan bracket removal.

I have undone all the bolts, 5 conections on the front and the two down below that are hard to get. (The one at the oil filter is backed out as far as it can go, past the threads, but the bolt isnt physically all the way out due to the filter.)

Anyway, I cannot get the fan bracket out. I have hit it with a rubber mallet, sprayed everything with pb blaster and pried the connections and pulleys as best i can and it is loose but wont come out. It appears that it is stuck towards the bottom but I dont see any pry points to get it out.

Anyone else have this issue? Any suggestions on removal? Any tips are greatly appreciated.

There is a bolt holding the AC compressor. Look at the fan bracket from the front driver side wheel well (must lay down). Must see through the steering rack. There is a 14 mm long bolt. Use an extension and 6 sided box socket to loosen it.

Picture from Cruiserpart

bde9c2ac6a2db24e129ee0110cb6e2a6.image.670x550.jpg

Last edited:
There is a bolt holding the AC compressor. Look at the fan bracket from the front driver side wheel well (must lay down). Must see through the steering rack. There is a 14 mm long bolt. Use an extension and 6 sided box socket to loosen it.

Picture from Cruiserpart

View attachment 1337108

Thank you so much! It turns out I removed the wrong one. Instead of the bolt going through the compressor I removed the bolt above it. Removed the correct bolt and it slid right out. I just hope I didnt bend anything with all that prying!

Cheers!

+1

I replace the fan bracket with the T-belt. I had one fail early and ended up doing the whole process while it was apart. It's good for another 90k now...

What are the signs a fan bracket is failing? I have a humming sound deep in the engine like it may be the flywheel in the tranny or crank. I can feel the vibration if I rest my hand on the shift lever? Any opinions welcome....

Check FB with stethoscope and look for lateral movement with belt on then off.

Can't imagine so bad you'd feel in transmission shifter. Do you feel in shifter when parked or just when moving?

Does the plastic timing belt cover on the drivers side need to come off to get to any of the bolts?

90% done but I cant get past the electrical conector bracket held down by philip screws. I cant seem to get anything on it.

The fan bracket is loose but doesn’t slide past the bracket.

some of the covers must come off, it's been awhile since I did mine but I remember taking off 2 or 3 covers.

Done. The hardest part was the little phillips screw. I guess when the PO did the timing belt, he felt the same way because there was only one screw in the bracket. I had to make a tool to get it out but should be easy now.

I had to take both covers off and remove some of the coolant lines.

The fan did not come out without taking the shroud off.

About 3 hours to take it out but I could do it again in about half the time now that I’ve done it.

There’s some great resources here. Thanks

90% done but I cant get past the electrical conector bracket held down by philip screws. I cant seem to get anything on it.

The fan bracket is loose but doesn’t slide past the bracket.

If it is the brass colored bracket by the A/C compressor? If so just bend it out of the way and bend it back later when you are done.

I put a philips screw driver head from a hex set and used a 1/4 wrench to turn it while I put pressure on it. It wasn’t very tight and came out pretty easy.

The small bracket with the 2 phillips screws has not been a factor for me- yet. However that last bolt behind the oil filter was a bear! I could really get a socket on it because of a hard hose in the way. Finally solved it though.

Will put everything back together tomorrow.....maybe.....

could "not" that is, correction ^

I spoke too soon. That bracket with the two screws was in my way. I bent it out of the way like someone else suggested.

For more tips you may like to read through links in my signature. Here around post #128 Scored a 06 LC (untouched Jewell restoration) you'll see timing belt which covers fan bracket. In The Kings link I did Fan bracket by itself.

Makes that bolt a snap!
Timing Belt 06LC 194K 092.JPG

Did you remove front left tire to go in that way?

I tried going in that way without removing the tire but I was worried about getting a good seat on the bolt head vs rounding it off.

Finally got it removed and replaced after quite a bit of meditation and cursing. All good now....

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom