Fan Bracket Question / Timing Belt (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Website
www.markamoore.com
I am doing the "177k-mile service", first time timing belt replacement. I know, I got lucky, but the old belt is in pretty good shape. Serp-belt was cracked, but it had 177k on it as well. Don't worry, I will promise to do the next one at 270k.

As I am almost at the time where I should be doing the TB a second time, I bought all new parts, (WP, Idlers, tensioners, etc.). My question is shall I get a new fan bracket? I had one go (bearing seize) in my 4Runner a few years ago and the truck screamed loudly and left me on the side of the road needing a ride and a tow. Has anyone had the pulley on a 100's fan bracket fail?

Please no ribbing for the lack of 90k mile service. I am of the mindset that often a high-mile vehicle's "problems" come from sloppy service/repair jobs done in the past by "commission-based" professional mechanics. Therefore I try to do all my own work, as I keep my cars 20+ years. -Thanks,

Fan Bracket...

yeah, I started getting a loud noise about four weeks ago - sounded like Sebulba's pod racer on Star Wars. Had one of the more reputable Toyota Dealerships here in the Phoenix valley replace it - it was a $250-ish bucks P&L I seem to recall.

So mine went out at approx. 159K miles and is fine now.

I had my changed at 120k together with the TB. Expensive part but it was making a bit of noise so I figure I better do it.

I did a new fan with TB, more or less as while you're in there, not based on need at the time.

I tried to figure out how to get that bearing out to replace it, gave up and reused. It looks like the same bearing that is in the pulleys, alternator, PS pump, etc, so my odds weren't drastically improved by replacing only some bearings. If it were a timing belt pulley, yes I'd replace it. I may think differently at 200k though.

I replaced mine during my second 90k service (180k miles). Bearing was not squealing during normal operation but sounded pretty rough when I spun it by hand. Easy job during the 90k service. Only cost should be the part and small labor add (if you have a shop perform) since everything attached to it is removed.

Seems like cheap insurance to change during the 90k service.

Good luck!

FWIW, here is what my fan bracket looks like at approx 184k.

image-3525166602.jpg

image-2835655951.jpg

Water pump with approx 90k miles (my second one).

image-2405540927.jpg

image-2394276364.jpg

image-2478748717.jpg

image-2467212741.jpg

I am doing my tb next week. Mine has 190k on it and I am replacing almost every part touched with a new OEM part including the fan bracket and a new fan clutch. It is hot in Texas most months of the year.

Sent from my iPhone using IH8MUD

I'd like to get a used fan bracket to play with, I think I could mill a couple notches so I could push out the bearing and replace it.

Here is my fan bracket at 177k miles. I think I will replace it, it was a B**** to get to!

2013-02-15_11-09-36_497.jpg

2013-02-15_11-09-44_652.jpg

This is a bit odd, Here is a photo of my old Serpentine belt tensioner, next to the new one. I was a little concerned that the pulley on the new one (OEM) is smaller. Probably does not matter what size the wheel is as long as it tensions the belt properly. Any thoughts?

2013-02-14_13-18-27_445.jpg

Is the pulley face wider? I believe that may be the difference

Last edited:
This is a bit odd, Here is a photo of my old Serpentine belt tensioner, next to the new one. I was a little concerned that the pulley on the new one (OEM) is smaller. Probably does not matter what size the wheel is as long as it tensions the belt properly. Any thoughts?

It may be the picture, but the spacing of the top two holes looks wider on the new part than the original. If so, it won't fit. Are you double sure that's the right part for your model year?

Last edited:
I just replaced mine 2 weeks ago. The bearing failed and sounded like the engine was coming apart. When I removed and inspected it there was considerable play in the bearing and was allowing the fan to wobble. Not the funnest job but I was able to change it out without removing the fan shroud. Took about 4 hours or so. If I was doing the TB, I would go ahead and replace it since it you will have it in your hand anyway.

I just replaced mine 2 weeks ago. The bearing failed and sounded like the engine was coming apart. When I removed and inspected it there was considerable play in the bearing and was allowing the fan to wobble. Not the funnest job but I was able to change it out without removing the fan shroud. Took about 4 hours or so. If I was doing the TB, I would go ahead and replace it since it you will have it in your hand anyway.

Miles?

158000. I may have accelerated the issue when I changed my steering rack though. When I had the motor mount loose and the engine jacked up to clear the oil filter, I noticed that the fan was bound up against the shroud. Bearing went out not long after that. Probably related.

scottm said:
I'd like to get a used fan bracket to play with, I think I could mill a couple notches so I could push out the bearing and replace it.

I will save the old one when mine is changed next week. I can send you the old one if you are still interested at that time. I will pm you when I have the old part in hand.

Sent from my iPhone using IH8MUD

Had to replace the fan bracket on my '03 LX at 90k. Already had play in it.

My '03 LC did not have the fan bracket replace with the TB / WP change at 90k and it's still fine at 130k. Luck of the draw I guess.

Well I got the job done on Wednesday, used my original fan bracket. Local dealer had quoted approx. $220 for a new one.

TB looked suprisingly good after 14+ years and 177k miles. Accessory belt looked shot, but still took some effort to cut w/ a sharp Leatherman. I am amazed at the durability of those belts.

Left for a weekend snowboard trip Thursday, 350 miles each way, 75+ mph for most of the trip. Was a little nervous as the end of the job was a bit rushed, but all went well. Thanks to all who have posted TB replacement advice (as well as advice on a proper coolant flush).

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom