Fan blade clearance (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Jim S.

SILVER Star
Threads
Changed out the old fluid coupler to an Aisin 049 on my '83 Fj40. I now have 7/8" clearance to the A/C belt but only about 5/16" clearance to the A/c compressor. Is the spacer on the 3Fe 80 series thicker? I could have one machined but don't know what thickness I should shoot for. I know that Kevin and John have swapped these onto '40s but probably didn't have to deal with A/C. Thoughts / advice appreciated.

Thanks

Edit: I'm not concerned with the fan blades flexing forward, but with possible frame or engine mount flex and having the back side of the blade tips contacting the compressor. Other vehicle forums talk about having 1 inch clearance on the belts. Perhaps I'm over thinking this. When I measured both couplers, they sat at the same height in reference to the mounting flange. However the 049 has a much thicker body.

Last edited:
Hi Jim,

I have the same fan clutch, but -of course- no A/C or belt therefor

we have very tight clearances of the fans on both the 80 and the LX (both fan clutches needed custom spacers) - distances from the supercharger belts are:

on the 80 - with blue fan clutch and TYC radiator, OEM fan and shroud (disregard the mm if confusing :hillbilly:):
IMG_4335.jpg

on the LX, with Koyo radiator and black hub clutch; OEM fan and shroud:
IMG_4336.jpg

and on the 40, the distance to the belt - stock radiator, aqua hub clutch, finned fan (granted, not comparable to your set-up, but just as reference) is:
IMG_4337.jpg

and yes, the 80 geometry of movement of the fan in the shroud and relative to the belts is likely somewhat different from the 40 body - but I thought these measurements might give you an idea

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom