Fan belt noise trouble shooting- Water pump? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Hey guys, My 96 LC recently started making a funky noise under the hood. It sounds like a belt may be slipping or my water pump may be on the way out/have a bad bearing. Does anyone have any tips on troubleshooting or any experience with this? Thanks.

The best way is to get the belts loose and off each pully, and then rotate each one looking for a noisy one.

I would just replace all the belts and the idler pulley and see how it sounds after that. I thought for sure my ac compressor was on its way out, but all it needed was a new belt. Belts can make some crazy noises when they get old.

The best way is to get the belts loose and off each pully, and then rotate each one looking for a noisy one.
I would just replace all the belts and the idler pulley and see how it sounds after that. I thought for sure my ac compressor was on its way out, but all it needed was a new belt. Belts can make some crazy noises when they get old.

Thanks guys! I'll try it out.

Try just tightening the belts to see if that makes a difference. It's easier than changing belts and it's FREE!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom