Fan Belt/Battery Longevity (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Just pulled the original fan belts off my 1982 FJ40 this weekend, 144,000 original miles. Interestingly enough, both were Mitsubishi belts, under the grime. Twenty-three year old fan belts strike me as pretty darn durable. Just looking at them, I had no idea they were that old, but the previous owners (my mother and father) were fanatics for record keeping, and there was no entry in the records/receipts for fan belts, causing me to take a closer look.

Both belts were cracked through to the fiber belt between all the cogs, one was missing part of a couple of cogs, and both were slightly frayed on the edges. Yikes!

I also replaced the battery, put in August, 1997. The battery had failed, after sitting for a month - wouldn't even pass charge from the trickle charger. Dad had put in the wrong size, a 24 instead of a 27, as that was all that was available near where the factory battery had failed. Darn thing had been trouble since I got the truck, 18 months ago. Interestingly enough, changing the battery cleared up a couple of intermittent problems...hmm.

Kirk

You should contact Mitsubishi and let them know about that. they might be interested in having those so they can see what they did right.

Mitsubishi is the OEM maker of all the Cruiser belts......even up to today AFAIK.

Our 90 fj62 still had the OEM hoses on it at 250K

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom