Fan ? - Are 60 and 62 clutch fan interchangeable? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

They are one in the same..........

I believe the 3fe fan clutch is 190* where the 2f fan clutch is 180*. Minor difference.

I believe the 3fe fan clutch is 190* where the 2f fan clutch is 180*. Minor difference.

You are thinking about the thermostat. The 3fe calls for a 190* while the 2f has a 180*. Although you can run either one in both engines.

But I think the fan clutches are different too. I think the early 2f's had a the lowest temp rated clutch, then later 2f's it went up some, then again for the 3fe. But not sure about this. I read it from someone else's post on here I think. But 3fe and late 2f may actually use the same fan clutch. I used to know the exact temp the fan clutch locked in for the 3fe, but I cant remember now.

Just realized the original poster only wanted to know whether you can interchange the fans. Do not have an answer for you. Sorry.

My original question was if they are physically identical - are the dimensions the same, will they fit in the same physical spaces.

But lock-up temp would be important too!

I think if I had the appropriate thermostat in the 3FE it could deal with a little cooler fan...

Even a 180 fan vs 190 would beat haveing a fan that is locked all the time now!

TIA

My original question was if they are physically identical - are the dimensions the same, will they fit in the same physical spaces.

But lock-up temp would be important too!

I think if I had the appropriate thermostat in the 3FE it could deal with a little cooler fan...

Even a 180 fan vs 190 would beat haveing a fan that is locked all the time now!

TIA

Sorry for not having the correct answer for you! I can tell you that for either fan clutch, you can replace the fluid to get it to function properly again. Much cheaper than replacing the whole clutch.

I was just reading a thread last night about this, but can't for the life of me remember where it was.....

EDIT: Here it is! I will be doing this sooner rather than later to fix my fan clutch.

All the 2F, 3F, 3FE fan clutches are architecturally interchangeable.

But do watch out for the temp rating. If a cold clutch (2F) is installed behind a hot radiator (3FE), then the fan will run all the time the thermostat is open.

hijack

I know, stupid....my fan runs constantly...86 2F. I've never really paid any thought to this before....is it due to malfunction within fan clutch assy?

I know...it's a stupid question. :bang::bang:

All the 2F, 3F, 3FE fan clutches are architecturally interchangeable.

But do watch out for the temp rating. If a cold clutch (2F) is installed behind a hot radiator (3FE), then the fan will run all the time the thermostat is open.

I just re-read this and think I understand your original comment better Jim, the hotter radiator is due to the 3FE thermostat, not the physical FJ62 rad...

So now my Piggy rad will be hotter w/ 3FE behind it.

Like I said, mine does not disengage after start up in the morning, except for once. The difference was so startling, I thought something was wrong!

If it runs all the time, then the clutch is bad.

Fan should start with engine, roar for a minute or two after startup, then wind down and be quiet until radiator temp locks it up.

I swapped out fan clutches over the weekend and it is wonderful not having to listen to the fan roar all the time!

So nice and quiet...

Thanks for all the answers!

Running:
3FE engine
3FE t-stat
3FE fan clutch
1F radiator native to the '74 Pig

Radiator/fan are unshrouded.
We will see if I need to shroud come summer time. I just swapped in a good radiator that will recover coolant from reservoir. I did the radiator and fan clutch at the same time...

I believe this fan clutch to be operative as I did a long run at highway speed and then stopped for a long light (heat soak). When I pulled away from the light I heard brief fan noise that went away.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom