Family trip to the Maze planned and reserved. (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Finalized permit reservations for a family camping trip to the Maze district of Canyonlands this spring.

Here's our itinerary:

1st night: Panorama Point
2nd night: The Doll House
3rd night: The Doll House
4th night: Golden Stairs

Our 80 will be carrying me, my wife, the 3 year old and the 9 month old.
We'll be accompanied by my father in his Heep Rubicon and my sister and brother in-law in their late 90's Taco.

I drove into Standing Rocks (in an '81 Toyota peecup) years ago, and I remeber it being a fun drive, but not really difficult. Anyone have any recommendations for short side trips--possibly something fun and exciting (challenging)?

Hayes

Last edited:
Hayes said:
Finalized permit reservations for a family camping trip to the Maze district of Canyonlands this spring.

Here's our itinerary:

We'll be accompanied by my father in his Heep Rubicon and my sister and brother in-law in their early 2000's Taco.

I drove into Standing Rocks (in an '81 Toyota peecup) years ago, and I remeber it being a fun drive, but not really difficult. Anyone have any recommendations for short side trips--possibly something fun and exciting (challenging)?

Hayes

I have not been to the Maze yet. Will be heading that way mid January(will be exploring Spanish Bottom and Robber Roost). What way are you planning on entering to the maze? You could do a side trip to Spanish Bottom. Go up the flint Trail and visit areas on Robbers Roost. Can leave the Maze and head south to Hite Crossing. I have not read to much about that trail yet.... You could also exit by way of Sunset Pass, is about a 60 mile trip one way, do think about gas. Spanish bottom is the only tough section of the area, unless you cross the Dirty Devil river(sunset pass).

We're entering via Hans Flat, at the top of the Flint trail.

I've driven the approach from Hite. It's a long graded dirt road.

I'll look into Spanish Bottom. I look forward to a report of your January trip. Thanks.

Hayes

Sunset Pass/Poison Spring canyon could get really ugly in the spring. The Dirty Devil crossing is not that difficult. The mud waiting for you on the west side of the Dirty Devil can be pretty interesting. Used to be a website floating around that showed 3 trucks (two mini's and cherokee) spending a few days in the canyon. I can't find it anymore.

Here is a pic or two from my last trip trough there. some of these were in the last trails. hopefully they're not too big.

IMG_0349%20(Large).JPG

IMG_0322%20(Large).JPG

IMG_0313%20(Large).JPG

last one...

IMG_0320%20(Large).JPG

Hayes said:

Here's our itinerary:

We'll be accompanied by my father in his Heep Rubicon and my sister and brother in-law in their early 2000's Taco.

Hayes

The Doll House is really cool. The Tea Pot cove is about the only slick rock you'll hit, and it is flat. Flint Trail is steep but graded.

At the Doll House, you can HIKE down to Spanish Bottom along the Colorado River. Continue downstream about 1 mile or less and there was a sand beach. Nice in summer, The hike is steep.

Good Trip. I was there twice for a 3 day stay, and returned for a week.b :grinpimp:

Update on the Haze Maze 06 family trip

Update on the Hayes Maze 06 family trip:

After trading some emails with dmc (Dave C) and doing a little research, I've decided that we will use days 4 and 5 to try and exit the area via North Hatch & Poison Spring canyons with a ford of the Dirty Devil river.
(This is basically the second half of the third day of the Utah Cruiser Expedition--going the other direction.)

My wife and I have been into the Doll House before (awsome), but this new part of the plan excites me the most because it holds the most unknown for our group. If we are to encounter anything that might challenge us, we will find it here.

Even though the trip is still a month away, I've had a great time planning.
Although I'm still not a GPS guy, I've got a healthy relationship with maps. I've created numerous custom maps with Topo! software, which I'm really happy with.

However, the most enjoyable part of planning the trip is cruising the route via Google Earth!

I created some Google Earth Placemarks of key points on our planned route. If you're interested in hopping around a virtual Hayes Maze 06, or if you're really bored, you can download the Placemarks here.

All you have to do is unzip the file, launch Google Earth, and open all of the placemarks at once. I can't seem to get them to automatically arrange in the proper order of the route, but you get the experience anyway.

In case you've been hiding in your Cruiser for three years and don't know what Google Earth is, go here and download the entire planet to your computer. Hours of fun.

Hayes

Last edited:
Hayes said:
Update on the Hayes Maze 06 family trip:

After trading some emails with dmc (Dave C) and doing a little research, I've decided that we will use days 4 and 5 to try and exit the area via North Hatch & Poison Spring canyons with a ford of the Dirty Devil river.
(This is basically the second half of the third day of the Utah Cruiser Expedition--going the other direction.)

My wife and I have been into the Doll House before (awsome), but this new part of the plan excites me the most because it holds the most unknown for our group. If we are to encounter anything that might challenge us, we will find it here.

Even though the trip is still a month away, I've had a great time planning.
Although I'm still not a GPS guy, I've got a healthy relationship with maps. I've created numerous custom maps with Topo! software, which I'm really happy with.

However, the most enjoyable part of planning the trip is cruising the route via Google Earth!

I created some Google Earth Placemarks of key points on our planned route. If you're interested in hopping around a virtual Hayes Maze 06, or if you're really bored, you can download the Placemarks here.

All you have to do is unzip the file, launch Google Earth, and open all of the placemarks at once. I can't seem to get them to automatically arrange in the proper order of the route, but you get the experience anyway.

In case you've been hiding in your Cruiser for three years and don't know what Google Earth is, go here and download the entire planet to your computer. Hours of fun.

Hayes

Sounds like you'll have a good time. Still need to get out and explore that area. Everybody bailed on me for my winter trip so ended up going back to the Swell. Be safe, have fun and take lots of pics:beer:

have a great time. i'm hoping to head out west and do the same some time soon.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom