Family Tent (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Dang, I thought I knew what I wanted in a tent, but I have been looking and looking and now I don't know.

What about some of these brands?
Ozark Trail (we have an air mattress and stove by them and like the quality)
Eureka
Coleman (WTF happened to these guys?)
Wenzel
Swiss Gear
Texsport
Wenger
Cabela's
And there are some that I have no idea....

What we want in a tent is:
1. Tall enough to stand in
2. Two rooms, privacy is nice
3. Big enough for two air mattresses
4. Last more than a couple years
5. Rain proof

We try not to go camping during rainy weather, but its happened before and we were glad to be dry in our little tent. We currently have a 6x10 dome and a budget of ~$200.

EDIT: Added links to some tents

Last edited:
Of the brands you listed, Eureka and Cabelas are the only two I would consider.

I've been very impressed with the quality and longevity of my Eureka. It see's action almost every month with my scouts. It's six years old and in great shape. Mine is not a condo as it's only 10x10 and you're looking for something larger.

The North Face does make some nice stuff, too bad that it is twice what I want to spend right now.

The Eureka tents are nice, I think with the 10x10 we may be happy enough. Who the hell just sits in the tent anyway?

The other tent that I am seriously considering is this Columbia Cougar Flats II

At $250 it's a little over the budget though.

Thanks for the input guys.

No offense but saying we try not to go camping in the rain is like I try not to get a flat while driving. It happens.

I'm of the opinion as to not skimp on your tent unless you want to end up back in your cruiser or the nearest hotel when the weather gets bad. A quality tent lasts a long time if properly cared for.

But of the vendors listed Cabela's and Eureka are probably the "best".

You did not indicate how many people your trying to get in it. But I'm assuming a family sized. I seriously consider something from TNF, Sierra Designs, Mountain Hardware, etc...

Generally a good place to shop: Family Camping Tents from Backcountry.com

Last edited:
you could afford a more premium brand of tent if you bought used. The best thing about buying used is that you could still sell it for the near same amount you bought it if you didn't like it at the end of the season. If it was a good enough price for you to buy used then it will be also to somebody else. It gonna end up dirty anyway. try craigslist classifieds: jobs, housing, personals, for sale, services, community, events, forums . There was a thread about family tents before so a search might provide more info.

No offense but saying we try not to go camping in the rain is like I try not to get a flat while driving. It happens.

I'm of the opinion as to not skimp on your tent unless you want to end up back in your cruiser or the nearest hotel when the weather gets bad. A quality tent lasts a long time if properly cared for.

But of the vendors listed Cabela's and Eureka are probably the "best".

You did not indicate how many people your trying to get in it. But I'm assuming a family sized. I seriously consider something from TNF, Sierra Designs, Mountain Hardware, etc...

Generally a good place to shop: Family Camping Tents from Backcountry.com

No offense taken. I meant that if its raining, I'm not going to pack up and go camping on purpose in the rain. If it does rain, we usually stick it out.

I've been watching for used tents also. Haven't found one yet. I'm planning on selling our old one. It's been good, but I hate crouching over and the wife gets a little claustrophobic. I'm going to stop by Cabela's tonight after I meet up with Woody and some others for dinner.

EDIT: I guess I should say that our old tent has been excellent in the 5 years we have owned it. It's some no-name brand like North Crest or something. We got it at Shopko (like Wal Mart) for $50. We stayed dry when it rained, I just hate hunching over.

Last edited:
I believe Eureka is an excellent tent too. I got a family one at Dick's pretty cheap (under $100) that has attachable internal walls to make 3 rooms, and sleeps about 8 packed in. It is over 6' clear in the center area and has three doors, one with a built in door mat. My only gripe is that the two end doors do not have storm flaps over the zippers, which allowed rain to seep in through the zippers. Otherwise the tent is great.

I too, prefer the high end brands like Sierra Designs (I used to shop at their factory store in berkeley - now gone), North Face (I still shop at their factory store in berkeley) and Mountain Hardwear (used to work next door to their corp office in Richmond.) My current favorite tents are from Marmot/Mountain hardwear. That said, all of those brands are generally overkill for fair weather family camping.

Unlike most mid-range brands, (like coleman), Eureka has managed to keeps its quality high while maintaining reasonable prices. And, FWIW - Eureka makes tents for the US military:

Eureka! Military Tents

They have a few factory second family tents at their website:

COPPER CANYON 1312 Product

COPPER CANYON 1512 Product

N!ERGY 1310 Product

COPPER CANYON 10 Product

N!ERGY 1210 Product

Last edited:
I too, prefer the high end brands like Sierra Designs (I used to shop at their factory store in berkeley - now gone), North Face (I still shop at their factory store in berkeley) and Mountain Hardwear (used to work next door to their corp office in Richmond.) My current favorite tents are from Marmot/Mountain hardwear. That said, all of those brands are generally overkill for fair weather family camping.

Unlike most mid-range brands, (like coleman), Eureka has managed to keeps its quality high while maintaining reasonable prices. And, FWIW - Eureka makes tents for the US military:

Eureka! Military Tents

They have a few factory second family tents at their website:

COPPER CANYON 1312 Product

COPPER CANYON 1512 Product

N!ERGY 1310 Product

COPPER CANYON 10 Product

N!ERGY 1210 Product

Wow, thanks for the links.

The other tent that I am seriously considering is this Columbia Cougar Flats II

We have the regular Cougar Flats model and it is a great tent. We have only used it a couple of times and haven't had it out in the rain or high wind yet. It seems to be a well made tent for the price.

It looks like the II model has been updated a bit. You can probably find the non-II model cheap on ebay if you keep your eyes open. I got ours last year for $125 and it was in perfect condition.

your gonna love the 1312 we have the 1512 and really like it.

You already got a tent but I am suprised no one mentioned Kelty, they are a awesome brand. I have the trail dome 6 I bought off Ebay new in the box for only $97 shipped!! , only one room but plenty of space and I am 6'2" and can stand up with plenty of room. I also bought a Kelty carport awning check out their website , these things are a great invention.

Hey, we got snow this side of the state today too, but it did not stick around my place.

I setup a new tent today too out of boredom, but it is not a sleeping tent ;)
The Pett system came a week ago.

The tent sets up in about a minute.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom