Family Roll-cage help (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

The first MT full cages had a different rear section, that’s seen on the opening page of my web site. www.metaltech4x4.com (That’s me climbing Rusty Nail in Moab) I switched to the hoop style in the rear since it made for more room in the back of the truck. It is also faster for the installer to build the kit as well. The C pillar has that kick inward for a number of reasons. #1 is the clear the soft tops as they stretch inward compared to a hard top. (Soft tops are smaller than a hard top) And as ALF pointed out this lets the C pillar be placed further back for more passenger room. Ok its style points too. If you look at the cage from the top the C pillar is about 2" narrower on each side than the B pillar. Again this was to make more room for the passengers yet still allow the fully built cage to be removed from the truck. Since the Profile design fits so tight up to the dash you have to slide the cage back a few inches to get it out. Since the tub has the large radius in the corners, mounts quickly hit in the inside under the corners if they are straight. This is why the most current mounts that come with the full kits are laser cut to match the radius of the tubs and step over the C pillar mounting area allowing it to be so far back in the tub. (yet still be able to pull the cage!)

Mark

JasonH said:
This was a factory bar with a front cage added to it.

This was a basic front hoop (don’t know who made it) attached to a stock bar that had been modified by the owner. Everyone lived and no major injuries. The few people I have talked with that were there when it happened including the guy that took these photos (Nolen Grogen) all said it was terrifying.

This is a good example that a front cage is only as strong as what it is attached too. Stock bar fails and folds, front bar folds with it. I know from personal experience the basic front hoops will do their job if the rear bar does its job. (Street roll in collage going 40+ in the early 90’s, old school Smity built rear when I rolled. Also learned the hard tops don’t like street rolls)

Mark

hey alf the bikini top is from www.tpi4x4.com and yes it fits very nice and has ties in the middle too. very well made and fairly thick denim type material. just look on there site under bikini tops. they sell for $69.95 but you will need there windshield channel because they use a round channel not the common flat one. and theres is a two peice design that i did not care for but i had an old fast track soft top that uses the round channel so i used it.

I love those metal tech A pillars. Right now I have some gay old front hoop that a PO added to my 72. It is stupid. There are two tubes welded on that point forward about eight inches long, and then the two front tubes, which are joined at the front/top with a spreader fit in to the ones pointing forward and are bolted with one 1/4" grade 8 on either side. It is ridiculous, especially since it has as many welds as it would have needed to be solid.
While we're on it, are the early roll bars better than the later ones? I always figured mine was probably .095 or better, but I never really looked into it. I am hoping to build a bender before long and bend up some parts, but I will probably go ahead and buy the A pillars from metal tech. They look and fit better than any other I've seen and the price is really good IMO.

Lone Gunman, that box behind your back seat looks familiar. Were you ever in the Navy? I have a couple like that. They used to be red.

no i wasnt in the navy but my dad was. its a tool box from www.knaackbox.com around $100.00 depending on size. i bolted it to the floor to keep the ohnest and not so ohnest people from walking of with it and its lockable too.

my hard top fits fine with the metal tech cage. not a great pic but if you look you can see the cage.
Picture 082a.JPG

Last edited:
my64fj40 said:
Is there such thing as a family roll cage that you can still put the hard top on with?? If so that would be cool, that's what I want to do.
my64fj40

Umm, did you read the posts in this thread before posting your question?
At least two people above have affirmed that the metal tech family cage does what you say you want.

:doh:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom