Family/clan crests

Gus

SILVER Star

Anybody know of a good website or two that has pics & info of/on clan/family crests(Scottish, in particular). I've read a bit and spoke with grandparents about my familys' ancestry, but never was able to get a good look at the family crest. I thaught the clan crest could possibly make a cool tatoo or at very least a sweet avitar. I appreciate any help on this.

no but if you find one post up a link to McDoogle/McDowel (SP?) (not sure witch it was)

but I would not get a tat of it, all the people on the Scotch side of my family are mean.

http://www.heritagecrests.com/home.htm

mac Doogle / mac Dowel:

Origin: Scottish

Spelling variations include: MacDougall, MacDowall, MacDowell, MacDugald and many more.

First found in Galloway where they were seated from early times and their first records appeared on the early census rolls taken by the early Kings of Britain to determine the rate of taxation of their subjects.

Some of the first settlers of this name or some of its variants were: Ralph, Patrick and Mary MacDougal settled in Charles Town S.C. in 1767; Dougal and Hugh MacDougal settled in Charles Town in 1767; Andrew MacDowall and his wife settled in Charleston in 1821

Coat of Arms: A shield divided quarterly: 1st and 4th, blue with a silver lion; 2nd and 3rd, gold with a black lymphad with top mast on fire.

Crest: An arm in armour holding a cross crosslet fitché.

Motto: Buaidh no bàs.

Motto Translated: Victory or death.

http://myhistories.com/scotland.htm
mac Dowell
The motto in Gaelic is "Buaidh No Bas" the motto in Latin is "Vincere Vel Mori." Both mottos can be translated as "Victory or Death" or "Conquer or Die."

Thanks White Shark that explains the name confusion, now I know how to spell it/them, my mom said they landed in South Carolina and went to Ga before the civil war that makes sense, had two great, great grand fathers that fought for the confederacy, besides the Scotch also German on my moms side and Irish on my dads side, Native and French on both sides.

Or just American mutt for short

I've done a good bit of research on this sort of thing, and though you'll find a lot of sites that will offer you a coat of arms for your family name, they may not be accurate. Some family names have several/many coats of arms (two brothers could have both been given their own coat of arms by the king they served, and they would be different). In other words, there is not one coat of arms that covers an entire family name.

There are a lot of websites, etc out there that will show you a coat of arms somehow associated with your name, but it may not be official, or even real. There is a specific 'society' in England that houses, records and otherwise deals with offical coats of arms for the UK.

It's been a while since I've read up on this stuff, but if you do a little research, you can find it all. If you're seriously wanting to track that sort of thing down, you'll need to track your family history back into the 15th or 16th century - which these days, with the internet and the Mormons, it's not that difficult to do, if you have an established family line.

RavenTai said:
Thanks White Shark that explains the name confusion, now I know how to spell it/them, my mom said they landed in South Carolina and went to Ga before the civil war that makes sense, had two great, great grand fathers that fought for the confederacy, besides the Scotch also German on my moms side and Irish on my dads side, Native and French on both sides.

Or just American mutt for short

funny you said the landed in SC and went to GA. GA back then was like AUSSIE land, that's where they sent the criminals and such.

LC_Hamma

The Anti-Leafer

Anybody know of a good website or two that has pics & info of/on clan/family crests(Scottish, in particular). I've read a bit and spoke with grandparents about my familys' ancestry, but never was able to get a good look at the family crest

My family crest is Scottish also. Here is our crest that was given to me by my grandparents. Actually, my grandma is 100% Scottish:

mabrodis

Hmm...I'm Scottish also I hear...in Scotland family name is Brodie, changed to Brodis when came to the US.

Oh man, our motto is kinda lame, nothing cool like Victory or Death...

Name: Brodie

Origin: Scottish

Coat of Arms: Silver with a red chevron between three blue stars.

Crest: A right hand holding a bunch of arrows.

Motto: Unite.

Motto Translated: Unite.

Huh, apparently several Brodies came to the US:
"Some of the first settlers of this name or some of its variants were: Andrew Brodie who arrived in Philadelphia in 1811; Robert Brodie with wife and six children arrived in New York in 1775; Edward Brodie arrived in Philadelphia in 1813. "

Hmm...atleast I was told that I was Scottish...but the name Brodis is also for Germans...I better not be linked to that techno-homo German thing.. LOL remembering past thread! :D

Gus

SILVER Star

Thanks for the links everyone, I searched under my last name and my mother's maiden name, was able to find some pretty cool info, much appreciated. I found my family surname(Scott) motto: Amo, translated: I love(pretty cheesy): I guess that could be interpreted as meaning we Scotts are a passionate bunch. The crest is a stag standing over a blue and yellow band, I've seen a couple different interpretations of this crest(one slightly more regal in appearance than the other) both basically represent the same thing.

Dang, gues i'm the only Irish one here than.......... Gues i'll have to look and see what my last name means "Loughridge". My Aunt traced us back to the 15 houndreds in N. Ireland. One kid at work had a tatto of his family crest put on his back(full width), yes it was cool but dont think i'd do it.

Top Bottom