Family Camping recommendations winter? (2 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I’ve been in AZ for just over a year and haven’t camped yet. Did a lot of family camping upstate NY with my 3 small kids since they were babies. Now that we’re all settled in to AZ I want to get the family camping again. January or February is what I’m thinking so I dont want anything too high elevation wise with snow and cold and closed roads. Any recommendations on an area that’d be good with small children (3 kids 7 and under)? So far the most promising area online I’ve found is taking the Apache Trail to Burnt Corral or Apache Lake area. I’d like to have some easy enough dirt on the drive if possible. I’m located in Phoenix.

This is the time for good desert camping! I'm close to Florence and Hwy 79, so we'll camp down between Florence and Oracle Jct. Or near the Gila River out off the Florence-Kelvin Hwy. Just need to make sure if you chose to camp on State Trust Land, to get the State Trust Permit... (see the sticky for getting the permit) State Land Trust Permits, now online

Gila River / Florence area. Quiet and lots to see.

DSC00486.JPG

DSC00601.JPG

Looks awesome. Any specific area to camp you’d recommend? Do I need any permit?
There are so many places to camp out there. I’ve camped down next to the river near what used to Cochran, AZ an old abandoned mining town.. I believe that’s on BLM Land . I could be wrong. I have the State Trust Land permit, it’s sometimes hard to tell where the boundaries lie.

Here are some pics were we drove to get to our camp spot. It was tight and you’re guaranteed to get some pinstripes

575F44DC-0B82-45CF-A148-300267CE3F31.jpeg

FEA59076-376B-4866-B4EB-5EF4237B8214.jpeg

F0D7E83A-E450-4262-84CA-8A3D9272933F.jpeg

85725F7F-DEEF-4D17-B3FC-C459FFC55B04.jpeg

2DDEEE9E-64D2-4F90-8FF8-C56500FE2C3B.jpeg

I have been looking for the same, some nice winter Desert camping! Anything out by White Tanks park west of Phoenix? Looking to wheel and primitive camp, self contained.

Bartlett Lake and Horseshoe Lake areas would also be nice

I appreciate that Claudia. I now work in Phoenix, started November 6th. And with the excellent winters down here I though there must be some excellent Desert camping that one can 4X4 into. No kids and I don't mind primitive camping as well, I actually prefer it

I like kids just don't have any. My above post probably makes me seem like a grumpy old man now that I read it! Ha ha

I like kids just don't have any. My above post probably makes me seem like a grumpy old man now that I read it! Ha ha
didn't read that way to me at all but funny. let me know if you find any awesome areas to camp.

I don't have any kids, either - and I sure don't like those that can't talk - if that makes me a grumpy old woman, so be it :meh:

Last edited:
if anybody else is looking for desert camping spots close to town, PM me

@DPA200 Will do. I am also from NY, Western NY outside of Buffalo, burbs. I don't miss that snow!

Not 1% of that do i miss either. Been sending my old coworkers Phoenix weather pics all day today while they are getting buried in snow
LOL.. that's just cruel... but funny too!

We like to camp out near queen valley. There are some trail offshoots near Hewitt Station road. It is about 20-25 minutes from AJ off the 60. If you hop on the Montana loop trail you can always find a secluded spot.

We like to camp out near queen valley. There are some trail offshoots near Hewitt Station road. It is about 20-25 minutes from AJ off the 60. If you hop on the Montana loop trail you can always find a secluded spot.
great suggestion I'll check it out

great suggestion I'll check it out
just saw this on AZ offroading:

"Hewitt Station Rd. is closed to thru traffic. Posted as of March 2017. Local residents complained of noise and dust and the county who still maintains the road put in a gate. I have a picture of the alt routes to take to circle around. I can email it if you like. It was quite a surprise as we didn’t stage anywhere near posted signs and found this out on our decent and return. We instead had to take the 60 at milepost 223 for 8 miles to return to our truck/trailer.

I have the AZ backroads book and gps – neither off which foretold this"

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom