Family Camping at Rapidan (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

What's it like getting to the camping location? Basically wondering if my sweet candy van could make it, or should I bring the 80.

We are trying to figure out where we are camping that weekend.

Come on out Vince, it's nearby and only 1 night.

Pics

Thanks for taking us out!

45-1_zps7cbc3b04.jpg

Camping9_zpsd039eba9.jpg

Camping23_zps323cd51e.jpg

Camping2_zps2739227a.jpg

Camping1_zpsd12d9d3c.jpg

Camping21_zpsaffa2b17.jpg

Sarah does have some photography skills - thanks for the great pics. Bart is correct, Sarah needs to be the club's official photographer.

Looks like you guys had a good time. Sorry I missed this

Sent from my iPhone using IH8MUD

Went this weekend with my son to the middle river tract. Nice area although there were a TON of bugs out. We drove the maintained road all the way to the gate at the Shenandoah NP. There are 8-10 campsites on the left as you drive into the WMA along the maintained road. Most are right next to the Conway River and most accommodate multiple vehicles/tents. One of the camps had a very nice swim hole formed by a little man-made dam of stacked river stones. It would be worth seeking out if you're there in the middle of the summer and need to cool off. We brought fishing poles, but didn't see any except for some tiny trout.

As far as "trails" goes, the first marked turn off on the right ends at the base of a steep incline which required 4L. The top was nothing more than a small clearing with no view. I did find two large mudholes and one trail on the right (I think it may be marked on the WMA map) that had 18 inch or so ruts - definitely required 4WD. I locked the hubs, got about 100 yards down the trail and travelling alone with no winch, realized I was at risk of pulling a Fernando; did a 12-pt turn and headed back to the fire road. It looked like worthy of further exploration if we were with someone who could have pulled us out.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom