Family Beach camping-Need Help (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
It's been a few years since I have been camping. Before then all I had to worry about was myself when I would camp with my friends. Now I have a wife and 3 children. I haven't been camping with my 6 and 5 year old yet but plan on taking my oldest 2 within a few weeks. I hope this venue will get them started and comfortable with camping. Later I will take them into more of a primitive environment.

The place I am going to take them is on a beach but it has campsites for RV's and tents. It really is beautiful . There is a tree line on the beach for shade, fire rings, bath houses with bathrooms and level ground.

My question is basic. How should I prepare? What equipment do I need?
I have a fairly large tent but not one of those huge deals. I can fit about 2 queen size air mattresses inside. I also have a queen air mattress, 60qt. cooler and that is it.
I do have some survival gear that use when I use to go on survival excursions but I doubt i will need any of that but may take some anyway.

What I think I may need is a knife, white vinegar(for jelly fish stings), crabbing gear, bug spray, lantern, first aid kit with medicine,food(hot dogs, PB&J and such), and a grill.
Please feel free to give me all the info you can muster.

The biggest challenge in beach camping is dealing with sand.

The tent will likely need different stakes to hold it than the ones supplied with it. One's that are made out of angle stock hold much better than ones that are just a big spike.

Once the tent is up and secured, then going in and out can be an issue. Bring along a couple of mats, preferably of the AstroTurf variety. That way the shoes can stay outside and most of the sand stays with them.

Empty sand bags or any type of bag that can hold sand would also work nicely as anchors ...

A few 5 gallon buckets filled with sand work very well as anchors. Just dunp em out when done.

A pop up awning to get out of the sun is always nice.

A pop up awning to get out of the sun is always nice.

Oh yeah! :pAnd don't forget the sunblock.

Be prepared to stake/weight the awning down, too.

The 5 gal bucket idea is a good one. Plus if you need to keep kids occupied when setting up, put em to work filling up those buckets:clap:

Don't forget the camp chairs for the adults and S'mores for the kids. I brought S'mores for a camp out with my nieces and nephews and they went nuts for them.

Yep S"mores are a big hit with the kids....

S'mores are great. We camped on the beach in South Carolina spring break 2010. It was a great trip. The island was mostly untouched by any developement or improvements. It was a wonderful trip and you can camp right up to the dunes. Lots of trees provide shade up to that point.

From that trip I say take your basic gear as you would any camping trip. Definately take a box that locks your food tight or keep it in the vehicle. The racoons will ransack your campsite and are quite skilled at opening containers.

We used the heavy plastic tent stakes and with the trees, grass and sandy dirt mix they worked great. Had some high winds and storms one night and had no problems. The dune helps break some of the wind. I would definately camp on the dune and not back in the woods. Depending on the time of the year the bugs can get really bad back in the woods. You get a bit more heat from the sun at the edge but usually you have a good wind to knock that back and we had no trouble with bugs.

Our kids are older and took a volleyball as there was a net on the beach. Bikes were a lot of fun as well. Lots of trails so we took good walking shoes for all.

Beach camping really is a lot of fun. Storms can be bad so a good quality tent for wind and wet is a good idea. You may know that these sites tend to go fast and we reserved ours 11 months in advance and still had to search for a site with all the nights we were wanting.

Lots of sun block as the others have said.

We are planning on beach camping again spring break 2012 but a lot further south.

Good luck.

KB

For the pop up canopy, I dig holes at each leg and then put the legs in and cover with a nice mound of sand. This works great on our trips to South Padre Island.

I'm assuming your talking about Hunting Island?

Make sure everyone has sandals to use in the showers. A small bag for everyone to take to the showers in nice. As stated a big pad, blanket, mat, etc in front of the tent to help keep sand out. Lock all your food back in the cruiser when you are done as the raccoons are everywhere and will take anything whimsy or tasty.

A grill with a cover works best. Make sure pots have lids. Bring bikes. It's a lot of fun to ride them around out there. There is a good place to buy seafood right off the boat right before the island. Make sure you go hit beaufort for lunch or diner one day. It's a nice town. Reserve early. Cannot remember if all sites have power and water might be nice to have one.

Started my daughter out at the KOA when she was 6. Single dad, now she can do multi-day expedition style trips lasting 2 weeks or more.

I'm assuming your talking about Hunting Island?

Make sure everyone has sandals to use in the showers. A small bag for everyone to take to the showers in nice. As stated a big pad, blanket, mat, etc in front of the tent to help keep sand out. Lock all your food back in the cruiser when you are done as the raccoons are everywhere and will take anything whimsy or tasty.

A grill with a cover works best. Make sure pots have lids. Bring bikes. It's a lot of fun to ride them around out there. There is a good place to buy seafood right off the boat right before the island. Make sure you go hit beaufort for lunch or diner one day. It's a nice town. Reserve early. Cannot remember if all sites have power and water might be nice to have one.

Yes I am talking about Hunting Island Beach.
Thanks for the advice guys. Lots of good info.
Oh, and wet wipes, never leave home without them.

Me too, talking abou Hunting Island. It is a great place to family camp. The light house being open to the public was a whole lot of fun.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom