Falling window (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I have a window on my land cruiser and I will not stay up. I recently tried to fix it and the rubber that it sits in is rotted out. If you have a temporary or permanent fix I would love to hear about it.

Some more details please. Front or rear? Electric or manual?

Also, which model (year/series) Land Cruiser?

Are you talking about the rubber in the track that holds the glass into the regulator? If so just get some black windshield adhesive and glue the glass in.
Or you can throw down 5 or 6 dollars and get the replacement rubber filler.
69971-90D00

Are you talking about the rubber in the track that holds the glass into the regulator? If so just get some black windshield adhesive and glue the glass in.
That’s is a good idea. The window is falling out of the rubber track I think.

The window is falling out of the rubber track I think.

Remove the interior panel from the door and see what's going on. My money is on the little wheel running out of the metal channel, which can be related to that rubber filler in that it can shift over time from the correct placement on the window glass.

This thread has a picture of the wheel almost coming out of the track:

Where do you suggest finding one of those.

Anywhere that sells Toyota parts.

Yeah the rubber strip is the "right" way to do it. But having replaced a window twice in the last year I can say it's not easy to get the glass in or out of the track with that rubber. After failing to reinstall my glass I took it to a glass shop and they recommended I just glue it in. After all the frustration I spent getting the glass+rubber out and the inability to get it back in without applying so much force I thought the glass would break I went with the glue option. I had to replace that same window a little while later (first was what I could get same day and a wrecking yard at it was badly scratched) and all I had to do was run a razor blade down each side of the track to separate the glue from the metal and the glass popped right out. Cleaned up the track and glued the new glass in again. It's not going to wear out and lose grip like the rubber either.

Is it the way Toyota did it? No. But it will get your glass reinstalled with minimal effort.

I have seen several where The resistance to the glass sliding up in the upper window frame around the door frame from the channel rubber getting hard forces the motor to work too hard and the motor/arm actually pushes the metal track out of alignment on the bottom of the glass and then the motor arm falls out of that track allowing the window to fall.
Take the door panel off, cycle view window motor so the arm goes back up into the track, slide the track in the direction it needs to be. And then replace the window guide channel that the window slides in. This is the cause of 90% of window problems on an 80 series.
If you want to get really fancy you can remove the track from the bottom of the glass and re-adhere it

FWIW, you'll regret gluing that glass in. Pull the old rubber strip out, install the new one, soap the glass and pound it in with a rubber mallet, just like the FSM says to do. Trust the FSM, Toyota knows...

If the glass has pulled out of the U channel it might need more than adhesive, IME. If the channel is full of rust and swollen a new channel might be needed along with the filler (rubber liner) as mentioned above. But then is something else binding causing the window glass to be pulled out of the channel (see above)??

But then we're all guessing, only thing to do is open it up and post up
photos of what the OP finds.

Here's some old photos of what I found 10 years ago when the driver's side door glass pulled out of the channel:

Original channel was full of rust and bent out of shape (too wide) which made it useless as it's designed to use a pinch grip with the filler to hold the glass tightly.

A plastic deadblow hammer was used to knock the old channel off (and install the glass back into the new channel). It had been "fixed" previously by the PO with ?? windshield adhesive which eventually failed.

Rusty glass channel and filler.JPG

Note the difference in width of the new (narrow) channel and the old channel:

Old versus new glass channel.jpg

Photo below shows a new filler and channel installed onto the glass. I placed the glass upside down on my feet/shoes while standing, placed the channel with a new filler over the glass (wetted with soapy water) and gave it a good whack on one end with the plastic deadblow hammer to get it started. The rest popped onto the glass with a few more whacks as I worked my way up the channel.

New channel and filler with glass installed.JPG

Last edited:
Edit: the correct part number is 69971-60020. I’m still confused what 69971-90D00 is for and why it’s labeled “Filler, FR Door Glass Channel”. Maybe it’s for the rear windows?

I picked up a new rubber channel run for my window. Below is what I ordered:
Filler, FR Door Glass Channel
Part Number: 69971-90D00

The new filler is about 8” shorter than what came out of my drivers side front window. Has anyone else had a similar experience? It obviously won’t support the window as intended so I’m nervous to use it and there are no specs on Toyota part websites so I don’t know if I’ll be wasting my time taking it back to the dealership (Toyota Stevenson West)

View attachment 3558128

Last edited:
Appears you got the wrong part

69971-60010 was the original number, it's been superceded
to 69971-60020.

One way to find part numbers is to go to Partsouq.com, enter your VIN, then search for the Group or Category where the part is found, or do a general search using the name or description of the part:

ToyotaPartsDeal also is fairly easy to find part numbers:

Last edited:
Appears you got the wrong part

69971-60010 was the original number, it's been superceded
to 69971-60020.

One way to find part numbers is to go to Partsouq.com, enter your VIN, then search for the Group or Category where the part is found, or do a general search using the name of the part:

ToyotaPartsDeal also is fairly easy to find part numbers:

Toyota acknowledged they listed the part wrong in their catalog. The part # I ordered should have said for rear windows instead of front windows.
Both parts were listed as the same exact thing and both said they would fit my vehicle, I just chose the wrong one. I hope they allow a return on this one even though its special order, but not going to make a fuss over $10. More annoyed I drove 30 minutes each way and need to wait another 3ish days to drive an hour again for it, but oh well

Cruiser Filler.jpeg

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom