Fall Crawl'n with TAC at SMORR 2014 Registration (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

CrowleyFJ40

Take off, eh.
SILVER Star
Threads
Website
www.tornadoalleycruisers.org
The Tornado Alley Cruisers is hosting the annual Fall Crawl’n event at the Southern Missouri Off Road Ranch September 18th through the 20th, 2014. This is an open event sanctioned by the Toyota Land Cruiser Association, so any and all vehicle types and manufacturers, from stock, off the showroom floor trucks to fully built competition rigs are welcome and SMORR offers miles of trails to accommodate everyone. To see the fun that awaits you see this article written by Kelly Holloway for the Toyota Trails magazine.

ONLINE REGISTRATION IS NOW AVAILABLE BY CLICKING HERE! READ DETAILS BELOW BEFORE REGISTERING!

As many of you know that attended the annual meeting, there are big changes to financing the rental of the SMORR facility. These charges by SMORR are reasonable in our opinion; however, given the size of our event, we – as a group — have to decide if we want to commit to the cash demands of this action.
The first question is if we desire to rent the entire ranch out for the weekend. The overwhelming response we received after last year’s event that was echoed at the meeting was — Yes, it is worth spending more money to do this because of the way we can more control the family friendly environment, the reduced rig count on the trails, and basically avoiding bad situations. One person mentioned that it is still less than the cost of a hotel room per night with all the fees and charges at the proposed amount.

Let me back up and give everyone some historical comparison. For the 2013 event, we charged $105 per rig. $55 of this covered TAC costs of insurance, food, t-shirts, raffle items, etc. and $50 went to SMORR rental. We budgeted for 50 rigs at this $50 to be cash flow neutral. We had 42 rigs, so we had a shortfall, that we were able to cover. Overall our event (with the raffle) was cash flow positive, and that cash flow is used annually to donate to Blue Ribbon Coalition (BRC) and to TLCA.

For 2014, we have big changes. The charge to rent out the facility would necessitate 100 rigs if we kept at the $50 amount. To be clear, with this increased price tag, SMORR has increased from 2 to 3 days of wheeling and still there are no charges for passengers or for spectators. As in prior years, you would still pay for all camping fees in addition. Frankly, we don’t think we can get to 100 rigs, nor can we in good faith commit TAC to this cash flow demand.

Therefore, we have two options:
1. Reserve part of the campground, (Brandon at SMORR has graciously worked with us on this plan) so we are in the same area, and then you would pay SMORR for all wheeling and entry fees. SMORR would still be considered “open” that weekend to anyone else and half of the campground would be available to others. To give some context, in 2012, when we did not rent the facility out, there were about 50 other rigs on the trails in addition to ours.
2. The members at the meeting overwhelmingly supported raising fees such that if 40 rigs come to the event, we can be cash flow neutral. That means that we would charge $125 per rig plus the $55 TAC fee, for a total of $180. It is one thing to raise your hand at a meeting, so we decided that this vote will be decided by our wallets, in the sense that we need you to sign up and prepay for the event so we can move forward.

If we have more rigs sign up, such that the event brakes even, then everyone will get a refund, determined at the event. Any refunds not picked up will be donated to a worthy “wheeling” cause.
If you like this idea, here is where we need you to act. We need you to go and sign up today for the event. If we have 40 rigs by June 15th, we will commit to rent out the facility.
Details: Before June 15th, your payment will be considered a deposit and will be fully refundable. If we do not get the support needed, we will refund the $180. If we find support and decide to rent out the facility, then it is at that point non-refundable; however it is transferable to another rig. Again, we are a not for profit, but we are not for losses either!

Tornado Alley Cruisers prides itself on being an organization that is geared toward providing a family friendly, safe atmosphere. Does that mean no alcohol?? Heck no. Does it mean no obscene language or behavior in front of the kids. Heck yes. We want everyone to be respectful of others. We reserve the right to ask those who can’t understand this to move to alternate campsites, far from the rest of us, and we may ask you to not return in future years.

Tornado Alley Cruisers is dedicated to supporting to sport of off-roading, and the majority of proceeds from this event are donated directly to the TLCA and the Blue Ribbon Coalition to help ensure the future of our great hobby.

Both electric and primitive camping are available at the park, with those fees paid directly to the park. Reservations for the electric sites are available by calling the park at 417-773-4084 or emailing Brandon Powell at jacksforkland@gmail.com. Tent camping is available on a first come, first serve basis. There is plenty of room for both RV and tent camping. Rates can be found at www.smorr.net. To reserve an electric site, email Brandon and make sure to let him know you are with the Tornado Alley Cruisers. He has reserved a section of RV and tent camping locations for those who are with the event.

For those not wishing to camp, lodging is available at the Super 8 in Ava, Mo. Their address is 1711 S. Jefferson Ave, Ava, MO, and their phone number is 417-683-1343.

Last edited:
Things to think about. Indeed.

Last year at Smorr was awesome.

And the cursing message is a strong message. Very strong words.

As a member who was not at the annual meeting I'd like to share my opinion. I hope it is read with an open mind for I mean no personal attack.

So.... I think an even more important thought process than "not cursing" is "tread lightly".

Last weekend I saw unecessary destruction of beautiful natural rock formations and micro environments in the name of climbing an unclimbable ledge.

I was raised by Toyota Trails and Petersons Off-Road magazines to make your rig fit the trail not make the trail fit your rig.

Even though we were on private property.... It makes little difference in the end.

Donating unclaimed refunds and club proceeds to the Blue Ribbon Coalition is hypocritical if our club disregards the beauty and fragility of our planet.

Rock formations along the Platte River are special. Many places are special. TAC destroyed a couple special places last weekend. Sad.

At SMORR there is no going off the trail. Period. Why? Because Brandon understands. He protects some places. And so should we.

Last weekend I dropped the F word in front of kids in a moment of something cool happening on the trail. I am sorry. I have children of my own. I get "family friendly". I have kids from 14 months to 19 years old.

But kids watching our group destroy ecosystems goes against saving the planet for our grandchildrens children.

I'm not a tree higher either. Just a lover of nature. Global warming?Not convinced. But smashing delicate rock formations? Bad karma my friends.

Before we banish someone who curses to the edge of the campground and ask them not to return let us consider our actions.

I wanted to say something at the farm but I'm an outsider. I wish I had spoken up then but I didn't. So now is better than never. And the door is clearly open for judgementalism.

I judge no man. I only speak my mind.

I may curse on occasion but I don't permanently F-up the planet with my rig.

Which is worse and which sets the worst example for our children?

Out on the trail with flying rock and sporadically moving monster machines is not a safe place for kids in my opinion. If they are old enough to be there and enjoy it I doubt some curse words are gonna hurt their integrity.

Okay. I'm done.

I hope you don't remove my post.

And I hope I am still welcome in the club. I like the club.

I welcome comment, replies, and rebuttles.

David,
The "cursing" message was not aimed at anyone specific. At the annual meeting the membership voiced that the main reason for renting the entire park was to maintain a family friendly environment. We felt it prudent to add that language after we have had some issues in years past at the campground with people getting too rowdy/obscene at camp that went beyond the occasional curse word. Those happen, by those with and without children, and I'm just as guilty of this as the next person. To be clear, these events were not by individuals attending our event and were years where we did not rent out the park. With the fantastic group of people that attend our event we foresee no reason this will be an issue.

Thank you for your input and hope to see you at SMORR.

I'm in. Dad's going to be there too. Don't know if he is going to wheel. My cousin Todd plans to attend also. I have a couple of Samurai and Heep guys I'll ask, if ya don't mind.

I understand. And thank you for clarifying to be sure. I plan to be there! SMORR 2013 was my first real event and test and it was one of my favorite weekends I can remember. I'm off to TN tomorrow but will register early For SMORR I hope. I like us having SMORR TO OURSELVES ! If it costs a bit more it will be worth it. Especially I the breakfast window is open at the diner. That's a nice option for loners. See you all then or maybe even sooner? D

Just an FIY the registration site does not work with IE9. I know who uses IE9, but it is the default where I work. Chrome worked fine though.

Just an FIY the registration site does not work with IE9. I know who uses IE9, but it is the default where I work. Chrome worked fine though.

Thanks, it doesn't work with IE8 either (also work). I am currently working on a new storefront at www.tornadoalleycruisers.org that should be a little more user friendly than square.

IE11 worked fine. FYI.

Do we have a count yet? We are at about 30 days from the deadline....

We are now signed up.

Signed up....can't wait. It was my first event 3 years ago and I have been hooked since....see ya in September!

I'll be at Dad's house this weekend. I plan to sign up, and get him to sign up too. He thinks that he will have his Samurai Tin Top ready for SMORR. I think EButler will also sign up this weekend.

Done. Registered.

Good news, the registration process has been integrated into the Tornado Alley Cruisers homepage at the new TAC Store! You can now complete the registration process as well as join/renew your TAC and TLCA memberships all on the TAC website. And the new store is more browser friendly, playing nice with browsers as old as IE8. Current options to pay are PayPal or by mailing in a check.

http://www.tornadoalleycruisers.org/store/

If you already registered at our old Square Marketplace, don't worry, we still have your registration and you're good to go.

If you have any questions or issues don't hesitate to contact me via PM, email at vicepresident@tornadoalleycruisers.org or phone at 816-388-YOTA(9682).

I registered. I also registered my Dad. Our checks are coming snail mail. I don't know about EButler. I'd suggest we all send him a text message reminding him.

My cousin Todd also registered. He wheels a Samurai. Some of you meet him at Disney BMR in 2013 and 2014.

That should bring our count to 13.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom