Fall Crawl Truck Preps (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Hi Guys, good to see you all Saturday.

Damage - when leaving 4low my ABS light stayed on. After getting home and inspecting, it seems the ABS sensor wire that goes along the left control arm/radius arm (slightly inset into the concave outer side) was mangled. Otherwise the sliders did their jobs and a few contacts with terra firma never hit the bodywork.

Cool place, my first time there.

-Fernando

Sorry I missed you. I saw your email on my way out Sunday. :(

I think I found the problem!

LIFE • HEALTH • PROSPERITY

image-3051590778.jpg

Jakes40 said:
I think I found the problem!

LIFE • HEALTH • PROSPERITY

Out of curiosity, did you torque them with a wrench on Friday or Saturday? Just wondering if they were loose

Did you forget to install the upper bearing race? Normally the studs just shear and aren't all wallowed out like that.

I suspect this was a progressive failure, meaning that the knuckle studs were loose in the past and wallowed out the holes but weren't stressed enough to shear.
As I understand it, he checked the knuckle studs Saturday morning and they required re torquing. It's obvious, now, that they had already ovalized and worked loose throughout the day.

I just added a clip of the knuckle stud break to the CLCC YouTube page.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CwhnHoIAYjE

Did it from my phone and didn't realize how grainy it would look on a PC. I'll get a better version up later.

I suspect this was a progressive failure, meaning that the knuckle studs were loose in the past and wallowed out the holes but weren't stressed enough to shear.
As I understand it, he checked the knuckle studs Saturday morning and they required re torquing. It's obvious, now, that they had already ovalized and worked loose throughout the day.

Yeah, I agree with your diagnosis. That's a pretty impressive knuckle failure Chris. :beer: Here's your excuse for 6 stud knuckles...

Did it from my phone and didn't realize how grainy it would look on a PC. I'll get a better version up later.

I just uploaded a better version.

So who's bringing me the welder I won (in absentia) in the drivers' raffle? :D

Still waiting to see some pictures posted from folks who took some and to hear how everyone did on Saturday. Any more carnage? Did Stump get his rear drive shaft fixed? Any of our folks win big in the raffle?

You've seen Chris' carnage. Thanks to you and Charlton, I was able to mate the two drive shafts to make one that worked great. I ordered two bigger yokes from Tom Woods, who made my original drive shaft. I will be building another drive shaft out of the exact same combo of parts (minitruck DC upper and FJ60/80 lower)
I had the tack welds on my steering stub shaft break on the way off the trail... I just need to take the column apart and weld it properly and I'll be good to go.
I think that was it for our club from Saturday.

I did alright at the raffle. My wins were somewhat ironic: I picked up a 50% off Raceline beadlock wheels (which I sold promptly for $100), an IPOR FJ60 steering swap plate (a little late), Spidertrax 1.25" wheel spacers, a set of allen wrenches, a set of side cutters and a set of screwdrivers.

If you are going to be at Wednesday's meeting, I'll bring your drive shaft.

I did alright at the raffle. My wins were somewhat ironic: I picked up a 50% off Raceline beadlock wheels (which I sold promptly for $100), an IPOR FJ60 steering swap plate (a little late), Spidertrax 1.25" wheel spacers, a set of allen wrenches, a set of side cutters and a set of screwdrivers.

If you are going to be at Wednesday's meeting, I'll bring your drive shaft.

Some one got a great deal with the racelines. Wish I knew you were going to sell it sooo cheap.

If anyone has video of my truck let me know. I got a couple jackass friends at work who don't believe I actually wheel my truck on these trips.

Yeah, I agree with your diagnosis. That's a pretty impressive knuckle failure Chris. :beer: Here's your excuse for 6 stud knuckles...

Stump is right they loosened up friday I tighend them saterday morning butmwas to late damage was all ready done. I'm looking at some 6 stud high steering arms now. Any one want to buy a set of 4x4Labs high steer arms?

Yeah, it covered my raffle ticket cost so I was good with that. Don't need to be greedy. Anyone need a FJ60 steering box mounting plate or some 1.25" 6x5.5 hub centric spacers?

Chris, the sixes sure are nice, but unless you are going to full hydro and 38 or 40's you'd be fine with stock stuff. Although, at $366 you get knuckles and arms with the stock TRE tapers. Although, I would look at the 4x4labs stuff too. It is top notch.

Chris, the sixes sure are nice, but unless you are going to full hydro and 38 or 40's you'd be fine with stock stuff. Although, at $366 you get knuckles and arms with the stock TRE tapers. Although, I would look at the 4x4labs stuff too. It is top notch.

I'm looking at 4x4Labs 6stud kit it is under $400 and you never know it may have 38s on it one day. No sence in doing the knuckle 3 times. And I'm already runing 1ton TREs.

I keep debating if I want to run spacers... How much do ya want for them?

I keep debating if I want to run spacers... How much do ya want for them?

$80 hand delivered to a meeting. The box hasn't even been opened.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom