Fall Crawl 2020 Discussion (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Figured I’d post the battery tray solution I fabbed here, since Fall Crawl found the weak point.

2B5E4B33-4493-4722-8FA2-12991C9D8664.jpeg
03A50904-949F-4DC2-B62D-8D790F43CC06.jpeg

The base adjusts long ways to “grab” a battery from the bottom and should accommodate any length between 13.25” and 5.5” and as wide as 7.25”. The cross bar has width adjusters on the top to grab the top sides of the battery, and everything clamps in place. The bars run about as close to the hood as I dare - should accommodate at least a 9.5” tall battery.

In short - if I ever have to find a battery at a random Walmart ever again, this thing should hold it.

If all those clamps break loose, there’s a “fence” that will serve as the last line of defense between the battery and the exhaust.

This whole tray mounts to this bracket:

26AD0D37-E756-48E9-B437-A452FCCC5607.jpeg

Which in turn mounts to the frame at 4 existing bolt holes, and the fender in one existing bolt hole. The last point of attachment is from the tray, to the old coil bracket on the fender. The “legs” had to snake around the radiator support and hug the fender. This keeps the bracket as out of the way as possible when it comes to accessing and repairing engine components on that side.

As a last resort, I included some tie down points for some ratchet straps “just in case.”

I made the tray bolt to the bracket so I could remove the battery/tie down as a unit to access the alternator, fuel pump, and shock towers underneath. I should be able to just unhook the cables, back out 4 countersunk Allen screws, and remove the whole top tray.

Paint is still not quite cured because it’s been sitting in my freezing basement - but once dry I’m hopeful this will serve to avoid a repeat of what happened last time. All told it weighs in at around 15lbs. My wife will be thrilled to get it off her dining room table and away from her Christmas decorations. :hillbilly:

Last edited:
Figured I’d post the battery tray solution I fabbed here, since Fall Crawl found the weak point.

View attachment 2533270View attachment 2533275

The base adjusts long ways to “grab” a battery from the bottom and should accommodate any length between 13.25” and 5.5” and as wide as 7.25”. The cross bar has width adjusters on the top to grab the top sides of the battery, and everything clamps in place. The bars run about as close to the hood as I dare - should accommodate at least a 9.5” tall battery.

In short - if I ever have to find a battery at a random Walmart ever again, this thing should hold it.

If all those clamps break loose, there’s a “fence” that will serve as the last line of defense between the battery and the exhaust.

This whole tray mounts to this bracket:

View attachment 2533274

Which in turn mounts to the frame at 4 existing bolt holes, and the fender in one existing bolt hole. The last point of attachment is from the tray, to the old coil bracket on the fender. The “legs” had to snake around the radiator support and hug the fender. This keeps the bracket as out of the way as possible when it comes to accessing and repairing engine components on that side.

As a last resort, I included some tie down points for some ratchet straps “just in case.”

I made the tray bolt to the bracket so I could remove the battery/tie down as a unit to access the alternator, fuel pump, and shock towers underneath. I should be able to just unhook the cables, back out 4 countersunk Allen screws, and remove the whole top tray.

Paint is still not quite cured because it’s been sitting in my freezing basement - but once dry I’m hopeful this will serve to avoid a repeat of what happened last time. All told it weighs in at around 15lbs. My wife will be thrilled to get it off her dining room table and away from her Christmas decorations. :hillbilly:
Looks good Sparky. What will you do about different sized terminals?

Looks good Sparky. What will you do about different sized terminals?

I guess I’ll need to add another set of military terminals like the ones I have currently for the smaller stud size to the emergency parts box.

Talk about over built!!
If your battery falls out of that you got real problems!
looks great!

Talk about over built!!
If your battery falls out of that you got real problems!
looks great!

“Comically overbuilt” was what I was aiming for. In the end, it’s only as strong as my welds and only time and a bunch of vibration will tell if I’ve figured out how to MIG yet.

The mount is all 3/16” as is the clamp bar. The tray was going to be 3/16 as well but I settled for 1/8” here because I had a bunch laying around the garage already.

Really it was an excuse to practice cutting slots/tracks in steel - which I’ve now learned is a huge pain in the ass when all you have is a drill press and some files.

Last edited:
Looks great, but I’m dying to see what you build for a spare tire mount! :rofl:

Just to confuse us, it will be made of Balsa wood!

I left the spare tire mount to a professional (4 plus) but balsa wood seems like a solid choice, reduce weight hanging off the back axle...

Job done...ish... still need to reroute the radiator overflow hose.
1117ECD9-3634-46ED-9BE1-A0FCFC2F88ED.jpeg

A29383E5-8F24-4422-A3C5-EE584BA922B4.jpeg

071E070F-BF56-4527-AD5F-777C26BE141D.jpeg

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom